Top sporting star tie-ups with brands in 2012
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Monday, 17 December 2012 08:46AM
Bradley Wiggins last night won BBC Sports Personality of the Year, triumphing over Jessica Ennis and Andy Murray, and crowning a fantastic year for sport in this country, with the programme watched by 10.6m viewers.
The nominations for Sports Personality of the Year were dominated by athletes from the 2012 London Olympics, with 11 of the 12 nominees up for the main prize from the GB Olympic and Paralympic teams.
As well as 2012 marking a year of excellence on the sporting field, there were some memorable brand tie-ups for sporting stars off the field.
Here Marketing charts its top tie-ups, according to a number of sport sponsorship experts.
Nigel Currie, executive director of BrandRapport, said:"The media domination from the Olympics meant each of the Olympic stars were obviously going to be used extensively by brands. A lot of the Olympic sponsors created teams of 'ambassadors' and within their teams there were a few "stand-out campaigns."
He added "Brands realise the power of leading athletes to attract sports stars. The high media profile that sport stars have and their popularity with certain markets make them very attractive to leading brands."
BBC Sports Personality of the Year was watched by 10.6m viewers, though this lagged behind Strictly Come Dancing, which pulled in 10.7m viewers also on Sunday.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Client Manager Brand Consultancy Packaging Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Account Director - communications agency Gabriele Skelton £60000 per annum, London
- Assistant Digital Fundraising Manager Spotlight Recruitment £34000 - £36000 per annum + great benefits, London
- Senior Media Planner - Exciting Mix of Clients Lipton Fleming £25000 - £30000 per annum + excellent benefits package, London
- Business Development Manager Forster c. £40k + benefits, London Bridge Station, London (Greater)
- Adam & Eve/DDB wins 2014 IPA Effectiveness Awards Grand Prix
- Enjoyed getting an hour back on Sunday? You'll get years back if you stop smoking, says charity
- Tiffany & Co hires MEC for $100m global media
- Mattessons Fridge Raiders campaign delivers AI robot to YouTube gamer
- HSBC launches Anyone's Game golf campaign
- Facebook and Airbnb sign up to D&AD New Blood