Top sporting star tie-ups with brands in 2012
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Monday, 17 December 2012 08:46AM
Bradley Wiggins last night won BBC Sports Personality of the Year, triumphing over Jessica Ennis and Andy Murray, and crowning a fantastic year for sport in this country, with the programme watched by 10.6m viewers.
The nominations for Sports Personality of the Year were dominated by athletes from the 2012 London Olympics, with 11 of the 12 nominees up for the main prize from the GB Olympic and Paralympic teams.
As well as 2012 marking a year of excellence on the sporting field, there were some memorable brand tie-ups for sporting stars off the field.
Here Marketing charts its top tie-ups, according to a number of sport sponsorship experts.
Nigel Currie, executive director of BrandRapport, said:"The media domination from the Olympics meant each of the Olympic stars were obviously going to be used extensively by brands. A lot of the Olympic sponsors created teams of 'ambassadors' and within their teams there were a few "stand-out campaigns."
He added "Brands realise the power of leading athletes to attract sports stars. The high media profile that sport stars have and their popularity with certain markets make them very attractive to leading brands."
BBC Sports Personality of the Year was watched by 10.6m viewers, though this lagged behind Strictly Come Dancing, which pulled in 10.7m viewers also on Sunday.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Planner, Direct Marketing /CRM Agency, London Direct Recruitment £70,000-100,000, London (Greater)
- Account Executive - Partnership Marketing Stonor £18,000 to £20,000, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Greater) / London (West), London (Gr...
- Account Manager/Senior Account Manager - Integrated - Herts Stonor £28,000 to £35,000 dependent on experience , Bedfordshire / Hertfordshire / London (North), London (Greater)
- Midweight Copywriter (Digital) createselect Up to £38K pa, depending on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Marketing Executive - Healthcare GoodEgg Digital £24k + Great Benefits, England
- ASA receives 240 complaints about Sainsbury's Christmas ad
- John Lewis Christmas ad gets three times more views than Sainsbury's in first 24 hours
- Watch: The Post Office's first Christmas TV campaign in five years
- Watch: Ant and Dec star in Morrisons' festive campaign
- DigitasLBi is on hunt for new media leader as Ling exits
- Samsung launches first Christmas TV campaign in the UK