Top sporting star tie-ups with brands in 2012
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Monday, 17 December 2012 08:46AM
Bradley Wiggins last night won BBC Sports Personality of the Year, triumphing over Jessica Ennis and Andy Murray, and crowning a fantastic year for sport in this country, with the programme watched by 10.6m viewers.
The nominations for Sports Personality of the Year were dominated by athletes from the 2012 London Olympics, with 11 of the 12 nominees up for the main prize from the GB Olympic and Paralympic teams.
As well as 2012 marking a year of excellence on the sporting field, there were some memorable brand tie-ups for sporting stars off the field.
Here Marketing charts its top tie-ups, according to a number of sport sponsorship experts.
Nigel Currie, executive director of BrandRapport, said:"The media domination from the Olympics meant each of the Olympic stars were obviously going to be used extensively by brands. A lot of the Olympic sponsors created teams of 'ambassadors' and within their teams there were a few "stand-out campaigns."
He added "Brands realise the power of leading athletes to attract sports stars. The high media profile that sport stars have and their popularity with certain markets make them very attractive to leading brands."
BBC Sports Personality of the Year was watched by 10.6m viewers, though this lagged behind Strictly Come Dancing, which pulled in 10.7m viewers also on Sunday.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Marketing Executive or Marketing Manager air recruitment £28k-£35k dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- B2B Lead Generation Sales Manager Ultimate Asset £20000 - £40000 per annum + Uncapped Commission, London
- Out of Home Sales - Huge digital potential! Ultimate Asset £20000 - £75000 per annum + Excellent Commission Potential, London
- Planning Manager - Unique Opportunity! Ultimate Asset £30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits, London
- Comms Manager - Top 5 global media agency - GAMING ACCOUNT Ultimate Asset £4000 - £35000 per annum, City of London
- Black horse returns in new Lloyds Bank campaign
- The man who made Grey matter
- Watch: Every Grand Prix winner from Cannes Lions 2015
- 'You're thirsty. We've got sales targets', says Oasis in summer campaign launch
- Heineken selects Publicis Worldwide to be lead global creative agency
- Yorkshire Tea launches £5 million campaign