Guardian launches audio service
By John Reynolds, mediaweek.co.uk, Tuesday, 18 December 2012 10:37AM
The Guardian is launching an audio edition of the newspaper, in a tie up with Audible, the provider of digital audiobooks.
Guardian Audio Edition will provide an hour-long weekly overview of its chosen top stories running in the Guardian, both online and in the paper over the week, including news, culture and opinion pieces.
The service will run for six months. No rival newspaper is thought to offer such an initiative at the moment, although the Economist Audio Edition provides listeners with each week's issue, read by professional broadcasters.
Guardian Audio Edition is initially a tie-up between the Guardian and Audible without third-party sponsorship, but this could change in the future depending on its success.
Each audio edition will be introduced by Guardian columnist Jonathan Freedland.
As well as an overview of articles published in the Guardian, there will be a focus on book reviews. The reviews will be hosted by Claire Armistead, Guardian’s News & Media’s book editor, Guardian’s book writer Richard Lea and invited guest reviewers.
The imitative is being headed by Dipesh Morjaria, business director for multimedia at Guardian News & Media.
Morjaria said he believed it was unlikely that Guardian Audio would cannibalise readers from the Guardian newspaper, believing it will attract "new and existing" readers to the Guardian brand.
Morjaria continued: "Our digital first strategy and open philosophy means we are constantly looking for new ways to showcase our consent and engage new audiences."
He said he was expecting a lot of feedback and comment from the initiative.
Will Lopes, managing director of Audible.co.uk, say Guardian Audio had the potential to reach out to new audiences.
The Guardian Audio Edition is free of change to users on Guardian.co.uk, Audible.co.uk, Soundcloud.com and iTunes.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Agency Account Executive - truly exciting multi-solution sell Ultimate Asset £35000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus + great benefits, West End
- Agency Group Head - exciting real-time social platform! Ultimate Asset £60000 - £70000 per annum + bonus, West End
- HEAD OF PROJECTS - DIGITAL AGENCY Live Recruitment Negotiable, City of London
- Ecommerce Content Manager - Travel brand - £40K + bonus Salt £38000 - £42000 per annum, London
- SEO/Social Media Executive Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £23-28k + Benefits, Manchester
- Will.i.am clashes with Martin Sorrell over online ads in Cannes
- Twitter to embrace power of TV in UK ad campaign
- Martin Sorrell on the mega-media reviews: 'We can't remember anything like this'
- Black horse returns in new Lloyds Bank campaign
- Aston Martin appoints WPP to global marketing account
- Geometry Dubai hands over Cannes Grand Prix amid controversy