BT plugs YouView with new ad character
BT is mounting the first TV push for its catch-up TV service YouView with a new ad introducing the mother of one of its flatmate characters.
BT is one of the seven investors in the YouView consortium, which has developed an internet-connected set-top box, bringing catch-up and pay-TV functionality as an alternative to signing up to Virgin Media and Sky.
Like fellow investor TalkTalk, BT is hoping that offering YouView will tempt customers to sign up to its telephone and broadband service.
In the ad, Simon is paid an unexpected visit by his mother, played by TV and film actress Samantha Bond, and in a bid to avoid her questions about his personal life, he shows her the YouView service.
Having recently returned from holiday, she takes to YouView as a way to catch up with the soaps she has missed.
Bond has recently played Auntie Angela in the BBC comedy 'Outnumbered' and as Lady Rosamund Painswick in 'Downton Abbey'.
The ad, which was created by Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO, will be shown first tonight (2 January) during 'One Born Every Minute' on Channel 4.
YouView was first advertised on TV in late September last year with a YouView-funded campaign featuring images of TV programmes being projected onto buildings with the strapline, "Extraordinary TV for everyone".
BT’s self-developed TV service, BT Vision, has attracted 750,000 subscribers since its launch in 2006, just 4% of the pay-TV market.Follow @DanFareyJones
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- DIGITAL ACCOUNT MANAGER / £35K + Benefits Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum, City of London
- Macmillan defends hijacking ice bucket challenge
- Comparethemarket.com first UK brand to run Facebook Premium Video ads
- Game Of Thrones actress stars in online Karen Millen campaign
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- Uncle Ben's launches YouTube cooking show