The Sun launches sing-along ad campaign
By Sara Kimberley, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 03 January 2013 11:28AM
The Sun has launched a quirky TV ad featuring a young child singing to help the nation through the 'most depressing' month of the year.
The campaign, which continues the brand's ‘Get Involved’ strapline, has been created by Grey London and WPP’s Team News to promote The Sun’s ‘Big Smile Giveaway’, a range of promotional bargains including holidays for £9.50.
A 50-second TV spot launched on 1 January is being supported by additional 60-second and 40-second versions, digital outdoor, digital and direct marketing activity.
The ad, which was produced by Rattling Stick and directed by former Fallon executive creative director Andy McLeod, features a young girl who is already fed up with January leading a sing-along.
Grey London’s executive creative director Nils Leonard worked with creative director Dave Monk and copywriter Vicki Maguire on the spot. M/Six was the media agency behind the campaign.
In addition, The Sun Smile Squad will be visiting towns up and down the country purveying random acts of kindness, from paying road toll charges to providing cups of tea from The Sun tea van.
Nick Stringer, director of marketing communications, News International, said: "We needed an idea that could amplify everything that’s great about The Sun, at a time of year when people need a pick-me-up. Grey’s campaign does that perfectly, with a strong look and feel for the quarter and a TV spot that is a call to the British public to ‘get involved’ with the paper’s editorial and its unrivalled promotional schedule."
Nils Leonard, executive creative director, Grey London, said: "Nothing like a singsong to get us through our darkest month. The Sun’s ‘Big Smile Giveaway’ is perfectly fronted by a toothless superstar."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Account Director - Off Oxford Street Agency Fill Recruitment to £55k + great benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 p.a., London (Central), London (Greater)
- Trade Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £42,000 p.a., London (Greater)
- CRM Executive Ball & Hoolahan £30,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Age UK launches 'no friends' ads in response to Facebook campaign
- Fold7 splits with Gocompare.com amid talk of Gio Compario's return
- Pizza Hut launches Classic Crust with TV campaign
- Lurpak rolls out jazz teaser by Juan Cabral
- Kate Robertson steps down from Havas
- Ronseal claims to ditch 'does exactly what it says on the tin' strapline