FA launches 'Battle of the Bands' to mark 150th anniversary
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Thursday, 03 January 2013 01:02PM
The FA is launching a 'Battle of the Bands' initiative to celebrate its 150th anniversary, marking the first time that live music will be part of the competition.
It is a move by the FA to find an official FA Cup anthem, with the winning song greeting the players as they step on to the Wembley turf for the FA Cup final in May.
A six-strong shortlist of UK music acts are to battle it out to be the winner, which will be decided by the British public.
Among the contenders hoping to record the first official FA Cup anthem are MOBO-award-winning rapper Lethal Bizzle, who is the cousin and business partner of Arsenal footballer Emmanuel Frimpong.
Other contenders – who all have a link to football – include Leeds rockers The Pigeon Detectives and East End rapper Devlin.
The search for the official FA Cup anthem kicks off at Upton Park on Saturday (January 5), when Lethal Bizzle performs his track 'Not a Saint' live, ahead of the tie between West Ham United and Manchester United.
Further music acts and performances will be announced ahead of each additional round as far as the semi-finals, with the winning track played before the final.
Fans will be given the chance to vote for their favourite on the FA Cup website in the lead-up to the final.
Bizzle said: "I've watched The FA Cup since I was a boy and always dreamed of playing in it. It's a special competition and I'm made up to be part of it, and hopefully I can become part of its history by producing the official FA Cup anthem. To have my music open the FA Cup Final really would be a dream come true."Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior copywriter story uk limited Negotiable depending on experience, Edinburgh
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Creative Strategist (commercial) Ultimate Asset £45000 per annum + 40% bonus, London
- B2B Campaign Manager UK Stopgap competitive + benefits, Surrey
- ARTWORKERS - DIGITAL, INTEGRATED, BRANDING Live Recruitment £competitive, England
- Daily Mirror publishes its own tits on Page 3
- 'This girl can' tops Campaign Viral Chart
- John Brown Media appoints Rebekah Billingsley to head of digital and content strategy role
- 'You don't have to explain yourself if you are getting the job done,' says Tracy De Groose on work and motherhood
- Publicis Groupe extends deadline for Sapient deal again
- Lidstone exits Havas amid restructure