Advertising pitches plummet during 2012
By Ian Darby, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 10 January 2013 08:00AM
An 18 per cent slump in advertising reviews contributed to an overall 10 per cent decline in the new-business market in 2012, according to research from AAR.
In total, there were 438 completed reviews involving UK agencies during 2012, compared with 485 in 2011.
Ad reviews stabilised during 2011 but plummeted last year to 186, compared with 226 the previous year, posing a significant challenge to agency growth forecasts.
The number of media reviews fell by 4 per cent to a total of 128 completed pitches, with big-spending pitches in short supply. There were just three £20 million-plus UK media reviews, compared with nine in 2011, according to the intermediary.
Digital reviews totalled 57 in 2012, compared with 58 in 2011. This slight decline also takes account of the notable increase in the number of clients consolidating their digital requirements into existing roster agencies.
Direct marketing bucked the downward trend with 25 reviews compared with 21 during 2011. However, integrated reviews declined to 42 from 47.
Kerry Glazer, AAR’s chief executive, said: "The UK new-business market is challenging for all agencies in all disciplines. As a consequence, we are witnessing agencies spending more time on organic business development."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- On-Air Creative / Creative Executive Discovery Communications Very Competitive with excellent benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Commercials Producer/Director Searchlight Recruitment An attractive salary is available to the successful candidate. , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Marketing Partnerships Manager - Mental Health Charity CHM Starting salary £20,894 (pro rata of £34,824) + London Weighting Allowance, Stratford, London
- Account Manager Mackenzie Carter £28,000 - £34,000, London (West), London (Greater)
- Designer Red Sofa London £26000 - £28000 per annum, City of London
- Lingerie brand provokes with raunchy optical illusion ads
- Paddy Power calls on Sepp Blatter to 'f**k off already'
- Instagram to roll out carousel ad platform
- Campaign Viral Chat: Pizza Hut spoof takes top spot
- Hostelworld launches skinny dipping ad during Game of Thrones
- People spend eight hours a day consuming media, reports ZenithOptimedia