Guardian unveils blockbuster spoof starring Hugh Grant
By Sara Kimberley, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 10 January 2013 05:02PM
The Guardian has unveiled a tongue-in-cheek ad starring Hollywood A-list actor Hugh Grant, as part of its new 'Own the Weekend' campaign.
The three-minute ad, which launches today online, will also be aired in cinemas, via press and outdoor. The film will also be cut down to 60 and 30-seconds throughout January.
Created by Bartle Bogle Hegarty (BBH), the tongue-in-cheek ad is a pastiche of a Jerry Bruckheimer blockbuster trailer and includes a series of spoof scenes, such as two colleagues discussing what they did over the Guardian and Observer weekend.
It also highlights the launch of Cook, the Guardian's new 16-page food and drink supplement.
The ad will feature the strapline, 'We own the weekend', and includes established Guardian weekend editorial supplements.
The film was directed by Tim Godsall and produced by Biscuit Films. The creative team on the ad was Wesley Hawes and Gary McCreadie. David Kolbusz was the creative director on the ad. PHD handled the media activity.
Cook will come free with every Saturday Guardian and will also feature in the Guardian and Observer iPad edition and Guardian Kindle edition.
David Pemsel, chief commercial officer, Guardian News & Media, said: "We wanted to continue last year’s marketing successes by experimenting with a new, bold approach to January marketing in 2013. We're delighted to have Hugh Grant on board, helping us create a fun and irreverent style which taps into the spirit of our weekend papers."Follow @SaraKimberley
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Digital Trading Director - Media Agency MediaMigo Recruitment imited £50-60k dep on experience + benefits , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Director / Senior Account Director Experiential £55-65k Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £55000 - £65000 per annum, London
- AV Buying Exec - Media Agency MediaMigo Recruitment imited £25-30k dep on experience + benefits , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Sales Manager MediaMigo Recruitment imited Up to £50k basic + comms + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Executive (Full-Time / Permanent) The Zoological Society of London (ZSL) £29,081 (Inclusive of London Weighting), Regent's Park, London (Greater)
- Will.i.am clashes with Martin Sorrell over online ads in Cannes
- UK agencies win 7 Media Lions
- Twitter to embrace power of TV in UK ad campaign
- Martin Sorrell on the mega-media reviews: 'We can't remember anything like this'
- Aston Martin appoints WPP to global marketing account
- Geometry Dubai hands over Cannes Grand Prix amid controversy