Rory McIlroy set to sign monster deal with Nike
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Monday, 14 January 2013 09:03AM
Rory McIlroy is set to be announced as Nike's brand ambassador today, making him one of the highest paid sports stars on the planet.
The 23-year-old, multiple golf-major winner is thought to have been in discussions with Nike over the proposed 10-year-deal for some time.
It has been reported the deal will be worth between $200m (£124m) and $250m (£155m) over 10 years. Specific details of the deal are unlikely to be announced.
The deal will be announced at the Abu Dhabi golf championships, where McIlroy and Tiger Woods are playing in the HSBC Championships.
Such a deal would trump Nike’s commercial partnership with Woods, who has been Nike's brand ambassador for the past 16 years.
McIlroy's previous endorsements deal with golf brand Titliest, Oakley, hotel chain Jumeirah, luxury watchmaker Audemars Piguet and Santander.
But Jumeirah has announced it will not be renewing its sponsorship deal with the world number one golfer. Titliest and Oakley have also said they will not be renewing their sponsorship deals with the player.
Nike and Horizon Sports, McIlroy's agent were both unavailable for comment.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Online Sales Manager Ultimate Asset £25000 - £35000 per annum + Excellent Commission Potential, London
- Agency Sales Manager Ultimate Asset £23000 - £27000 per annum + Amazing benefits, London
- Agency Account Manager Ultimate Asset £27000 - £30000 per annum + Excellent Commission Potential, London
- Account Managers and Executives Needed Ultimate Asset £23000 - £25000 per annum + Excellent Benefits, London
- Google becomes major UK advertiser after boosting spend by 50% in 2013
- Unilever pilots multi-brand advertising with YouTube beauty channel
- Sorrell says Publicis / Omnicom's 'merger of equals' is 'impossible'
- Gatwick rolls out 'guess the X-ray' competition
- Dove launches first cinema campaign with 'real beauty' sequel
- iProspect appoints chief media officer among four senior hires