British Facebook population hits 27 million
By Gordon MacMillan, brandrepublic.com, Monday, 14 January 2013 11:33AM
Facebook has revealed that the site's British population has climbed to 27 million, representing over two thirds of the country, with 19 million accessing it via their mobile device.
The figures, that come via Nielsen, have been released as part of a retail launch in which Facebook book is offering tips and advice to help retailers get the most out of Facebook.
Overall, Facebook has around one billion users worldwide and receives 3.2 billion likes or comments every day.
British Facebook users are among the most active and on average they spend almost seven hours a month connecting on the social network.
That is close to being four times the amount of time spent on any other website and equates to one in five minutes online being spent on Facebook.
In the UK women take the lead on Facebook. 51% of UK users are women and 25% are under 25. However, the over 50s audience is growing and now represents 30%.
If you have more than 130 Facebook friends then you are doing well as that is the average number of friends for Britain, while 71% of British smartphone users connect with their friends on Facebook every day.
At the younger end of the market 67% of 18- to 34-year-olds connect with their friends on Facebook several times a day. That puts Facebook consumption on a par with TV.
The comparison with TV is an increasingly relevant one particular in the UK as 62% use Facebook while watching TV.
Facebook claims that advertisers can reach more 18- to 34-year-olds through Facebook than through TV. The site's role as a social influencer is growing across the board and Facebook says it is able to tell that as many as 16% of users have made product purchases as a result of Facebook friend interactions.
We do other things based on friend's recommendations too – 23% have tried a new restaurant or bar, 36% have listened to new music and 37% of users ask their friends for product recommendations on Facebook.
While 19 million users in the UK access via their mobile device (or 62%) 26% access Facebook via a tablet.
Over 50% of 18- to 24-year-olds say it's the first things they access in the morning and the last thing they access at night, but the most active mobile time slot is midday for mobile and night time for tables. This is when 60% of all users are on Facebook, including 75% of young users.
This article was first published on brandrepublic.com
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- PR Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £35000 - £40000 per annum + benefits, London
- Digital Planner Buyer - Revolutionary Media Agency!! Ultimate Asset £22000 - £25000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits , City of London
- FT to reveal first design overhaul in seven years
- Philips launches campaign for app-controlled lightbulbs
- Sorrell warns of Scotland becoming an 'outlier' and the UK 'diminished' by a Yes vote
- Notonthehighstreet.com launches brand campaign
- Publicis boss Maurice Lévy to step down in 2017 amid board shake-up
- 18 Feet & Rising wins Skoda digital brief