Client confidence up, Bellwether says
By Ian Darby, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 17 January 2013 08:00AM
Marketing budgets rose by just over 1 per cent during the final quarter of 2012, reflecting a small increase in optimism among clients, according to the latest IPA Bellwether Report.
With 17 per cent of clients reporting an increase in total spend compared with 16 per cent reporting cuts, the net balance was 1.1 per cent – the highest figure since the third quarter of 2013.
This small increase compares with a 5.5 per cent decline in the third quarter of 2012 and a 0.6 per cent rise during quarter four in 2011.
Internet spend, in common with recent Bellwether surveys, rose significantly while spend on main media channels was flat. Budgets in direct marketing and sales promotion continued to be cut.
Companies were more positive about their own performance, yet marketers were downbeat about the financial prospects for their wider industries, with a net balance of 16.9 per cent pessimistic, compared with 16.5 per cent in the third quarter.
More positively, adspend growth is expected to accelerate to a 4.6 per cent rise in 2017.
Nicola Mendelsohn, the IPA president, said: "Advertisers have a growing sense of cautious optimism about their own financial prospects."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Senior Project Manager - London - £35,000 Adam Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Senior User Experience Designer - London - £60,000 - £70,000 Red Sofa London £60000 - £70000 per annum, London
- Channel 4 to drop 4oD for digital service All 4
- Guardian launches three-tier membership scheme
- FT to reveal first design overhaul in seven years
- David Hasselhoff to join Sorrell, Naughton and Shing at IAB Engage 2014
- Sky boosts Sky AdSmart's targeting capabilities for advertisers
- 5 key trends from Dmexco 2014