Thorntons expects online choc offering to generate 10% of sales
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Friday, 18 January 2013 12:56PM
Thorntons, the struggling chocolate maker, predicts online sales to hit 10% of overall sales within the next three years, according to its chief executive.
The company this week unveiled a trading statement updating the market on its performance for the 14 weeks to 12 January, and reported a 5.4% increase in sales year on year, to £88m.
However, sales of Thornton's Direct, its online business, were down by £0.7m to £4.8m, after they were hit by problems on the Thornton’s website.
Jonathan Hart, Thornton's chief executive, said that now the problems had passed, he was expecting stellar growth in online sales.
He said: "I would expect our online sales to represent 10% of overall retail sales in the next three years."
Currently, online sales represent just over 5% of overall sales.
Hart said marketing was at the heart of Thorntons' business.
Commenting on the overall results, he said: "We are pleased with the overall progress made during this key trading period. These results demonstrate the effectiveness of our multi-channel distribution model and our strategy to rebalance our routes to market and revitalise the business as a whole.
"We have grown market share and demonstrated the continued strength of the Thorntons brand, despite a challenging economy and a weak confectionery market.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Digital Account Manager - Brand Accounts!! Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits + Great Agency Culture, City of London
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £38,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London (Greater), South East England
- Customer Activation Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Global Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 + c/a, South East England
- Senior Global Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £70,000 + car or c/a, London (Greater)
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Doctor Who online game gets kids coding
- Philips launches juicer video campaign with Louis Smith
- Currys PC World launches brand campaign ahead of Christmas
- Argos releases second ad in its latest strategy
- A JWT tribute to its Oxo mum: Lynda Bellingham