Tetley to sponsor rugby league Challenge Cup
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Tuesday, 22 January 2013 03:46PM
Tetley is the new title sponsor of the rugby league Challenge Cup, replacing Leeds Metropolitan University, and the Yorkshire brewer will use the sponsorship to "reinvigorate" the brand.
Leeds Metropolitan University has sponsored the tournament for the past six seasons.
Tetley was previously title sponsor of the league competition, the Super League, between 2000 and 2004.
It also has commercial partnerships with individual rugby league clubs, such as Leeds Rhinos and Wakefield Trinity Wildcats.
For the 2013 and 2014 seasons, the tournament will be known as The Tetley's Challenge Cup.
Carlsberg-owned Tetley is using the sponsorship to "reinvigorate" the brand, which is synonymous with its Yorkshire roots.
Tetley's sponsorship of rugby league has been a central plank of its marketing over the years. It also uses pitch-side hoardings as advertising channels.
The brewer will promote the sponsorship with on-pack promotions and other marketing initiatives, in a drive to broaden the appeal of the brand.
The Rugby Football League (RFL) is currently looking for a new Super League sponsor after it agreed to end its deal with the Stobart Group at the end of the 2012 season. Tetley has ruled out taking over this sponsorship.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior PPC Planner / Analyst Dot-Gap £30k, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Biddable Dot-Gap £65-80k, London (Greater)
- Strategy Consulting Manager Stopgap £75000 - £95000 per annum, London
- Digital Activation Manager - Fastest Mobile Network Brand!! Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits, City of London
- Project Director > DIGITAL AND SOCIAL > AWARD WINNING AGENCY collectivo £55-60k + great Bens , London (Greater)
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Breast Cancer Campaign crowd-sources videos for 'wear it pink' campaign
- Doctor Who online game gets kids coding
- Philips launches juicer video campaign with Louis Smith
- Currys PC World launches brand campaign ahead of Christmas
- Argos releases second ad in its latest strategy