Tetley to sponsor rugby league Challenge Cup
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Tuesday, 22 January 2013 03:46PM
Tetley is the new title sponsor of the rugby league Challenge Cup, replacing Leeds Metropolitan University, and the Yorkshire brewer will use the sponsorship to "reinvigorate" the brand.
Leeds Metropolitan University has sponsored the tournament for the past six seasons.
Tetley was previously title sponsor of the league competition, the Super League, between 2000 and 2004.
It also has commercial partnerships with individual rugby league clubs, such as Leeds Rhinos and Wakefield Trinity Wildcats.
For the 2013 and 2014 seasons, the tournament will be known as The Tetley's Challenge Cup.
Carlsberg-owned Tetley is using the sponsorship to "reinvigorate" the brand, which is synonymous with its Yorkshire roots.
Tetley's sponsorship of rugby league has been a central plank of its marketing over the years. It also uses pitch-side hoardings as advertising channels.
The brewer will promote the sponsorship with on-pack promotions and other marketing initiatives, in a drive to broaden the appeal of the brand.
The Rugby Football League (RFL) is currently looking for a new Super League sponsor after it agreed to end its deal with the Stobart Group at the end of the 2012 season. Tetley has ruled out taking over this sponsorship.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Digital Marketing Executive Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum, Peterborough
- Technical SEO Account Manager - Leading Mid-size Agency Ultimate Asset £30000 - £38000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Brand Manager Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £35000 - £50000 per annum, Ipswich
- Marketing Services Manager, Leisure Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £40000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Group M wins Vodafone's £600m media account
- Google becomes major UK advertiser after boosting spend by 50% in 2013
- Campaign Viral Chart: Evian's Spider-Man tops chart in week of movie premiere
- Tait replaces Papworth as W&K's ECD
- M&S moves £60m media account to Mindshare
- MEC boss Courtier hails £600m Vodafone media win as 'life changing'