Tetley to sponsor rugby league Challenge Cup
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Tuesday, 22 January 2013 03:46PM
Tetley is the new title sponsor of the rugby league Challenge Cup, replacing Leeds Metropolitan University, and the Yorkshire brewer will use the sponsorship to "reinvigorate" the brand.
Leeds Metropolitan University has sponsored the tournament for the past six seasons.
Tetley was previously title sponsor of the league competition, the Super League, between 2000 and 2004.
It also has commercial partnerships with individual rugby league clubs, such as Leeds Rhinos and Wakefield Trinity Wildcats.
For the 2013 and 2014 seasons, the tournament will be known as The Tetley's Challenge Cup.
Carlsberg-owned Tetley is using the sponsorship to "reinvigorate" the brand, which is synonymous with its Yorkshire roots.
Tetley's sponsorship of rugby league has been a central plank of its marketing over the years. It also uses pitch-side hoardings as advertising channels.
The brewer will promote the sponsorship with on-pack promotions and other marketing initiatives, in a drive to broaden the appeal of the brand.
The Rugby Football League (RFL) is currently looking for a new Super League sponsor after it agreed to end its deal with the Stobart Group at the end of the 2012 season. Tetley has ruled out taking over this sponsorship.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Account Manager - various accounts - up to £30k + bens Barker Graves Up to £30k plus bens, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - Branding Agency - CONTRACT & PERM Royds Raphael £45k-£50k+generous benefits & bonus, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager / Account Manager - BRANDING & STRAGEGY Royds Raphael £38k-£45k+neg, London (Central), London (Greater)
- SENIOR ACCOUNT MANAGER - ACCOUNT MANAGER Royds Raphael £35K+ & generous benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- ACCOUNT MANAGER - DIGITAL AGENCY Live Recruitment £30000 - £37000 per annum, City of London
- Tesco Clubcard uses Twitter to pick out Christmas gift ideas
- Samsung launches first Christmas TV campaign in the UK
- O2 launches 'walk' campaign with Ed Sheeran
- BBH London promotes Caroline Pay to deputy ECD
- ASA bans 'strongly sexual' Giffgaff ad
- Hammerson uses automated mechanical model to showcase Christmas gifts