Omnicom Media Group hands £140m outdoor business to Talon
Omnicom Media Group (OMG) UK has appointed Talon Outdoor, the agency led by former Kinetic chief executive Eric Newnham, as its out-of-home specialist agency, in a blow to Aegis' Posterscope.
OMG’s outdoor billings make up around 15% of the UK outdoor ad market. The business currently accounts for around 30% of Posterscope's business and is serviced by a 30-strong dedicated team.
On 1 April, the business will move to Talon, which only employs 18 people in client-facing roles, despite staffing up since Newnham bought the majority of the agency and became chief executive in July last year.
Under Newnham’s leadership, Talon has picked up the account for independent agency AMS and employed former Posterscope executive Frank Bryant and former Zenith Media managing director Andy Tilley.
The move will shake up the £970m outdoor media-buying market, which is currently dominated by Kinetic and Posterscope, with around a 40% share each. Talon’s current billings are thought to be in the region of £10m.
Philippa Brown, chief executive, OMG UK, said: "Given Talon’s ambition to lead the marketplace, the evident pedigree of its leadership, the quality of their tools and systems, and their commitment to providing our clients with the a fresh, powerful and integrated approach to out-of-home in the UK, we could not turn down this exciting opportunity to join forces."
Posterscope has worked with Omnicom agencies in the UK for 20 years, but in other markets around the world, Omnicom agencies handle their own planning and buying.
Glen Wilson, UK managing director of Posterscope, said: "We are proud of the partnership we have built, delivering ground-breaking and award-winning work for clients including McDonalds, Cadbury, Virgin and Channel 4.
"Posterscope continues to lead the industry globally and we will continue to drive our business forward, investing significantly in our people, technology and tools to deliver cutting-edge solutions for our clients, out-of-home."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Product Manager - Technical/Engineering Brand Recruitment £50000 per annum + car and benefits, Hitchin
- Media Advertising Account Manager Archant Basic £30,000 + £9600 bonus, Kensington and Chelsea, London (Greater)
- Business Director Stopgap £60000 - £70000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager/ Ad Ops Europe Aspire Mobile c£45,000 + bonus, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Agency Sales Account Director - Mobile Location Advertising Aspire Mobile c£70,000 + 50% bonus , London (Central), London (Greater)
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Facebook IQ reveals marketing to millennials is flawed
- Breast Cancer Campaign crowd-sources videos for 'wear it pink' campaign
- Guardian joins forces with Telegraph for media planning tool
- Sir Martin Sorrell labels Omnicom CFO exit 'bizarre'
- OMD lands Liberty Global pan-Euro media