Virgin Media ends free Wi-Fi for all on the Tube
By Charlotte Henry, mediaweek.co.uk, Tuesday, 29 January 2013 11:48AM
Wi-Fi on the London Underground will only be free to customers of Virgin Media, Vodafone and EE from today, as a result of deals that were announced last year.
Passengers who want to use Wi-Fi on the Tube and are not customers of one of the contributing networks can continue to access it on a pay-as-you go basis for either £2 for a day, £5 for a week or £15 for a month.
Passengers will also be able to purchase a monthly pass during February that will provide them with three months' access for the price of one, as a special offer.
However, everyone will still be able to access the free travel, entertainment and news content. Virgin Media estimates that 76% of Greater London consumers are subscribed to the service.
Virgin has emailed everyone who has signed up for the service on the London Underground link to tell them to register with their provider and move to the new service over the coming days.
Additionally, 11 more stations are moving online this week, taking the total number of connected stations up to 103. By the end of March 120 underground stations will have Wi-Fi.
The stations joining the network this week are: Gloucester Road; Highbury & Islington; Kentish Town; Great Portland Street; Hammersmith (District & Piccadilly); Tooting Bec; Tooting Broadway; Hampstead; Redbridge; and Blackhorse Road.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Marketing Partnerships Manager air recruitment c.£48K dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director / Business Director (Integrated) air recruitment Up to £70k dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Planning Director air recruitment Up to £100k dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director air recruitment Up to £75k dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)