Wrigley recruits Antonio Banderas as first global ambassador
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Tuesday, 05 February 2013 08:00AM
Wrigley is to introduce actor Antonio Banderas as the first celebrity brand ambassador for its flagship chewing gum range, Extra.
The year-long global advertising campaign breaks on 14 February and will feature the endline 'Break up with lingering food'.
It forms a part of Wrigley's wider 'Eat drink chew' marketing strategy, which was first rolled out in 2011 to promote the health benefits of Extra, the bestselling sugar-free chewing-gum brand in the UK.
Pamela Bower-Nye, Wrigley's UK and Ireland marketing director, said Banderas was the 'perfect ambassador' to encourage consumers to incorporate Extra into their everyday oral care routine.
Banderas, who has starred in films such as Shrek and Desperado, has previously appeared in marketing for Marks & Spencer. The 2007 TV ad, which also featured long-time M&S ambassador Twiggy, was shot in the style of classic Hollywood film trailers.
According to Nielsen figures, UK sales of Extra rose 11.6% in 2012 to £172m. Its nearest competitor, sister brand Airwaves, recorded a 4.3% rise in sales last year to £34.1m.
Former Britvic international marketing director Bower-Nye joined Wrigley in Novem-ber, taking responsibility for its gum and confectionery portfolio.
She replaced Daniela Cam-pari, who left the company to return to the US.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Project Manager / Account Manager Story Recruitment £30-38k dep on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Business Director Direct Recruitment £80,000 + Bens, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Manager Direct Recruitment £28,000 - £32,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Director Direct Recruitment £45,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Samsung calls global advertising and media review
- Watch the first YouTube clip, nine years on
- British Airways moves paid search account to Forward3D
- M&C Saatchi's Enyi Nwosu takes global role at Mindshare
- Post Office reviews advertising, DM and digital accounts
- Yahoo hosts exclusive X-Men: Days of Future Past films