Paddy Power promises to throw 'kitchen sink' at papal election
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Wednesday, 13 February 2013 11:15AM
Paddy Power is today running tactical press ads headlined 'Yes we vati-can' across the national press, and has promised to "throw the kitchen sink" at the forthcoming papal election.
The ads, which have been created in-house, are running across national titles including The Times and the Daily Mail.
Below the 'Yes we vati-can' headline, the bookie promises, "money back from Paddy Power if the cardinals elect the first black pope."
Underneath are images of two of the favourite black candidates to replace Pope Benedict XVI.
The bookie – famous for its tongue-in-cheek ads – is now out in Rome with a betting board showcasing its latest odds on the papal election.
It mirrors a strategy similar to the one Paddy Power adopted in 2005 for the previous papal election, when it took to the streets of Rome.
However, it is thought that Paddy Power is likely to try to top its activity this year, with a spokesman saying "we will be throwing the kitchen sink at it."
The spokesman would not give further details of its plans.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- CREATIVE DIRECTORS Live Recruitment Negotiable, England
- DIGITAL DESIGNER - DIGITAL AGENCY Live Recruitment £23000 - £28000 per annum + BENS, Surrey
- GRAPHIC DESIGNER - AGENCY Live Recruitment £NEG + BENEFITS, Hertfordshire
- DESIGNER - AGENCY Live Recruitment DEPENDING ON EXPERIENCE, North West England
- DESIGNERS - DIGITAL, INTEGRATED AND PRINT Live Recruitment £competitive, West Midlands
- Land Rover to move global ad account into Spark44
- Martin Sorrell talks Maurice Lévy, Tesco, and the global outlook
- Viacom to bring Breaking Bad to Freeview with Spike launch
- 'Advertisers are snake oil salesmen', says Peter Oborne
- Group M retains £80m Lloyds media
- WPP's Martin Sorrell reconsiders strength of newspapers