Paddy Power promises to throw 'kitchen sink' at papal election
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Wednesday, 13 February 2013 11:15AM
Paddy Power is today running tactical press ads headlined 'Yes we vati-can' across the national press, and has promised to "throw the kitchen sink" at the forthcoming papal election.
The ads, which have been created in-house, are running across national titles including The Times and the Daily Mail.
Below the 'Yes we vati-can' headline, the bookie promises, "money back from Paddy Power if the cardinals elect the first black pope."
Underneath are images of two of the favourite black candidates to replace Pope Benedict XVI.
The bookie – famous for its tongue-in-cheek ads – is now out in Rome with a betting board showcasing its latest odds on the papal election.
It mirrors a strategy similar to the one Paddy Power adopted in 2005 for the previous papal election, when it took to the streets of Rome.
However, it is thought that Paddy Power is likely to try to top its activity this year, with a spokesman saying "we will be throwing the kitchen sink at it."
The spokesman would not give further details of its plans.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Head of UX & Digital Design Director MCG Associates tax free competitive package, Dubai (Emirate) (AE)
- Marketing Executive - Global Leading Oil and Gas Company Ninesharp Negotiable, Swindon
- Campaign Manaager Premier Media Negotiable, London
- Digital Marketing Executive - Global Telecoms Organisation Ninesharp Negotiable, Slough
- Motion Graphics Designer (User Interface Specialist) Salt £200 - £300 per day, London
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Facebook IQ reveals marketing to millennials is flawed
- Breast Cancer Campaign crowd-sources videos for 'wear it pink' campaign
- Guardian joins forces with Telegraph for media planning tool
- Sir Martin Sorrell labels Omnicom CFO exit 'bizarre'
- OMD lands Liberty Global pan-Euro media