Martin Sorrell says Twitter is not an advertising medium
By Gordon MacMillan, mediaweek.co.uk, Tuesday, 26 February 2013 10:32AM
Martin Sorrell, the WPP chief executive, has said in an interview that Twitter is not an advertising medium, but a PR one.
Sorrell has been talking to the Harvard Business Review about everything from the state of the advertising business, to social media and emerging technology.
His interview takes in such topics as programmable T-shirts and Google Glass, and he also had a few things to say about Facebook and Twitter, and why he doesn't think they are advertising media.
His comments come a week after Twitter launched its advertising API, which could significantly boost the number of advertisers using Twitter and their ability to manage campaigns.
Sorrell has spoken before about Facebook, admitting it gets him in trouble, and how he doesn't see it as an advertising medium. He reiterated those comments, adding his thoughts on Twitter too.
His argument is that Twitter is a PR medium and that it lacks depth. He is obviously not the first to make such comments, but what he says carries weight.Follow @gordonmacmillan
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- Account Director Stopgap £45000 - £55000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Director - T2P Stopgap £200 - £250 per day, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Brand Strategy for Global Brand Consultancy Elizabeth Norman International £100000 - £180000 per annum + Bonus, Asia
- Marketing Manager Flow Caritas £35000 per annum + Gym, Pension , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Virgin Holidays launches digital Caribbean push
- Bloomberg appoints Matt Teeman as commercial director EMEA
- Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned for suggesting alcohol conquers boredom
- Yahoo appoints Marc Bignell as head of trading for the EMEA region
- Samsung celebrates Prince George's birthday
- McCann picked to resurrect Homepride's Fred