Martin Sorrell says Twitter is not an advertising medium
By Gordon MacMillan, mediaweek.co.uk, Tuesday, 26 February 2013 10:32AM
Martin Sorrell, the WPP chief executive, has said in an interview that Twitter is not an advertising medium, but a PR one.
Sorrell has been talking to the Harvard Business Review about everything from the state of the advertising business, to social media and emerging technology.
His interview takes in such topics as programmable T-shirts and Google Glass, and he also had a few things to say about Facebook and Twitter, and why he doesn't think they are advertising media.
His comments come a week after Twitter launched its advertising API, which could significantly boost the number of advertisers using Twitter and their ability to manage campaigns.
Sorrell has spoken before about Facebook, admitting it gets him in trouble, and how he doesn't see it as an advertising medium. He reiterated those comments, adding his thoughts on Twitter too.
His argument is that Twitter is a PR medium and that it lacks depth. He is obviously not the first to make such comments, but what he says carries weight.Follow @gordonmacmillan
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Senior copywriter story uk limited Negotiable depending on experience, Edinburgh
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- SENIOR UI/UX DESIGNER - CAMBRIDESHIRE - £45K + BENEFITS Salt £45000 per annum + Benefits, Cambridgeshire
- Account Director | Social & Digital | £45,000 Dynamic New Alliances £40000.00 - £50000.00 per annum + Package , City of London
- Group Account Director | £80,000 Dynamic New Alliances £70000.00 - £80000.00 per annum + Excellent Package, City of London
- Havas partners with Facebook's Atlas for multi-device ad targeting
- Daily Mirror publishes its own tits on Page 3
- 'This girl can' tops Campaign Viral Chart
- John Brown Media appoints Rebekah Billingsley to head of digital and content strategy role
- 'You don't have to explain yourself if you are getting the job done,' says Tracy De Groose on work and motherhood
- Publicis Groupe extends deadline for Sapient deal again