Grey retains Pringles business after Kellogg's pitch
By Louise Ridley, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 08 March 2013 10:36AM
Grey Group has retained its position as the global lead agency for Pringles following a pitch prompted by the brand's sale to Kellogg's last June.
Kellogg’s bought Pringles from Procter & Gamble for $2.7bn (£1.7bn) last year and initiated an ad review in December 2012, as it has a long-standing relationship with Publicis Groupe’s Leo Burnett.
Grey, which has worked with Pringles through P&G for 16 years, pitched against Leo Burnett’s Chicago office and won what Grey executives viewed as an "uphill fight".
However, the WPP agency kept the business and now has a place on the Kellogg’s roster alongside Leo Burnett.
A team from Grey London and Grey’s New York office worked on the pitch, which the Grey Group global chief executive, Jim Heekin, believed it was unlikely to win.
In an internal memo to staff, Heekin said: "We knew our chances of keeping it were slim to none. Kellogg’s was clear that it was easier for them to put the business with their primary partner, Leo Burnett. Particularly because they are committed to a one-agency model.
"Yet, our new team in [New York] took on this uphill fight with everything they had and simply bucked all the odds. The team developed a brilliant campaign and won Kellogg’s trust. In the end, our new client said it was a unanimous decision for Grey."
Pringles consolidated its £35m EMEA media into Kellogg’s agency Carat in October 2012.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- French Speaking Graphic designer | Corporate communications - Global Healthcare Brand Aquent Competitive day rate, Hertfordshire
- Client Services Director - Full-Service Digital Agency Silverdrum to £55,000 + benefits, London
- Account Manager - Post Campaign Management - Ad Ops Ultimate Asset £25000 - £35000 per annum + bonus, London
- Regional HR Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £40000 - £45000 per annum + package , Leeds