Gocompare stops tenor Gio Compario from singing
Gocompare.com has gagged its brand mascot and opera singer, Gio Compario, from singing in its future ad campaigns.
However, the singer, played by Welsh tenor, Wynne Evans, will not be killed off by the brand but will continue to feature in different key roles.
Gio Compario is famed in the ads for singing his ‘Gocompare’ theme song and has been the brand’s mascot since 2009. The spots have topped polls as being among the most irritating ads on TV.
Yesterday, Gocompare launched its latest ad, "double dog", featuring Compario in a comical role. The ad, created by Dare, is part of the brand’s ‘Saving The Nation’ campaign.
It features Compario pitching an advertising idea to his Gocompare colleagues, which includes a dog hauling a box with a fake dog attached to it, to save customers from getting a ‘rough deal’.
Ben Steiner and Toby Burnett created the ad, which was directed by Ben Wheatley through Moxie Pictures. Carat handled the media planning and buying for the campaign.
Toby Horry, the managing director at Dare, said: "We're evolving the format again for Gocompare.com. Gio is such a well-known character already that it allows us to do something totally different and I think people will be surprised by what he gets up to when he’s not singing."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Marketing Manager Fidelity Worldwide Investment Dependent on Experience, Surrey
- Senior Strategy Consultant Ball & Hoolahan £65,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Innovation Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/ Car Allowance, South East England
- Head Of Brands Marketing Ball & Hoolahan £80,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Global Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £48,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)