National Geographic launches 1980s campaign
By Ian Darby, campaignlive.co.uk, Monday, 08 April 2013 11:35AM
National Geographic Channels International is launching a global TV and print campaign to support two new series themed around the 1980s.
Created by The Corner after the broadcaster appointed the shop in January, the activity will support ‘The 80s: The Decade That Made Us’ and ‘The 80s Greatest’.
The campaign uses the Rubik’s Cube as a storytelling device, highlighting images of innovations in the decade, including the internet, hip hop and mobile phones.
TV activity shows Rubik’s Cube champion Simon Crawford playing the cube.
The 60-second spot launches later this month across international markets and is supported by a multimedia campaign. Print work shows the Rubik’s Cube at the centre of a campaign that juxtaposes 21st Century and 80s images.
Emanuele Madeddu, the vice-president of creative and consumer marketing for National Geographic Channels International, said: "In reacquainting viewers with the riveting moments of the 1980s, National Geographic Channel’s new series illustrate how the 80s truly shaped the way we live today – minus the shoulder pads.
"To capture this contemporary take on a decade that holds a unique wonder for viewers around the globe, The Corner and our in-house team developed a clean, strong concept with a clever and thoroughly modern execution."
Tom Ewart, a founding partner at The Corner, said: "Sometimes the simple ideas are the best. Taking the ultimate ‘80s icon, the Rubik’s Cube, and using it to tell the story of ten dramatic years that changed our world, has created something wholly relevant and compelling."
The creative team was Tom Prendergast and Joe Stamp and directed by Hoku & Adam through Partizan. Walker Media handles UK media planning and buying for National Geographic.
‘The 80s: The Decade That Made Us’ airs in the UK on Sunday 12 May on National Geographic Channel.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Digital Strategy Director Source £70000 - £90000 per annum, London
- Senior PR Account Manager AF Selection £30000 - £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, Manchester
- Account Director Pitch Consultants £35000 - £45000 per annum, Liverpool
- Production Manager Pitch Consultants £35000 - £40000 per annum, Liverpool
- Account Manager Pitch Consultants £23000 - £27000 per annum, Liverpool
- Black horse returns in new Lloyds Bank campaign
- Geometry Dubai hands over Cannes Grand Prix amid controversy
- Cannes 2015: Highlights from the Campaign beach party
- UK wins four gold Film Lions
- Watch: Every Grand Prix winner from Cannes Lions 2015
- 'You're thirsty. We've got sales targets', says Oasis in summer campaign launch