P&G boosts F1 presence as Gillette signs up to McLaren deal
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Thursday, 11 April 2013 12:45PM
Gillette has struck a marketing partnership with Vodafone McLaren Mercedes, as the brand's owner Procter & Gamble (P&G) looks to develop a footprint in Formula 1 and tap into its global appeal.
The wide-ranging deal initially runs in Asia, but could be extended globally should it prove successful.
Until now, Gillette-owner P&G has not had a direct sponsorship involvement with F1 or an F1 team, although its Head & Shoulders brand sponsors McLaren driver Jenson Button.
The partnership, announced today, will run thoughout 2013 and will include dedicated TV spots, a digital campaign and a series of in-store events running in Asia to highlight the partnership.
Vodafone McLaren Mercedes team principal Martin Whitmarsh, said: "F1 has already seen several multi-national corporations come on board this year, so this partnership once again underlines the inherent and ongoing opportunity and value of entering one of the most popular and watched sports in the world."
Brands which have moved into F1 this year include BlackBerry and Emirates.
However, Vodafone is ending its long-running sponsorship of F1 after announcing it will ditch its deal with McLaren at the end of the year.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- On-Air Creative / Creative Executive Discovery Communications Very Competitive with excellent benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Commercials Producer/Director Searchlight Recruitment An attractive salary is available to the successful candidate. , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Research manager | Youth insight, sports clients Elizabeth Norman International £30000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Creative Director Pitch Consultants £50000 - £70000 per annum, Birmingham
- Managing director Paul Hayes to leave News UK after 15 years
- Pimm's launches weather activated OOH campaign
- Campaign Viral Chart: True Detective trailer in number one spot
- Vizeum on alert as 21st Century Fox review includes £150m European media
- Tango returns to advertising after two years with off-brand TV ad
- Why D&AD's first Black Pencil for Radio in 32 years is significant