Diary - Mother of all protests
campaignlive.co.uk, Monday, 15 July 2013 04:56PM
London-based Mother creative director Hermeti Balarin wound up on the pages of a Sao Paolo newspaper last month after he attended protests near the Houses of Parliament on 18 June.
The demonstrations in London and other cities across the world came as many thousands took to the streets in Brazil to protest the high costs of the World Cup (which Brazil is hosting in 2014) and poor public services.
Balarin said: "I guess the reason why some of us went out to protest here in London was to show our support for our friends and families that were taking to the streets back home. Brazilians reached a tipping point of discontent – suddenly the vast majority can't tolerate any more corruption.
"It is scary how quickly it all happened. One day, there were five thousand people protesting in Sao Paulo. A week later, more than a million took to the streets around the country and in several other cities around the world, including London.
"I went along and the next thing I know is my mother calling me a couple of days later saying, ‘You're in the paper!’ It felt good that I could be involved in such an important moment in Brazil's history, even from a distance."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- account director > GLOBAL DIGITAL SOCIAL AGENCY collectivo Salary confidential, London
- Web Shop Operations Process Lead (eCommerce) - Supermarket Chain Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Company Benefits Package , Bradford, West Yorkshire
- Digital Account Director - Leading Agency! Ascent Solutions Up to £50,000 + excellent benefits package, London (Greater)
- Brand Marketing Manager - Fast Growing Ladies Footwear Fashion Brand Recruitment Revolution £35,000, London (West), London (Greater)
- Digital Account Manager - Leading Agency! Ascent Solutions Up to £40,000 + Fantastic benefits!, Central London
- Tesco Clubcard uses Twitter to pick out Christmas gift ideas
- Freeview launches singing toys campaign
- ASA bans 'strongly sexual' Giffgaff ad
- In pictures: Campaign Media Awards 2014
- Hammerson uses automated mechanical model to showcase Christmas gifts
- King backs new Candy Crush game with global ad push