Diary - Mother of all protests
campaignlive.co.uk, Monday, 15 July 2013 04:56PM
London-based Mother creative director Hermeti Balarin wound up on the pages of a Sao Paolo newspaper last month after he attended protests near the Houses of Parliament on 18 June.
The demonstrations in London and other cities across the world came as many thousands took to the streets in Brazil to protest the high costs of the World Cup (which Brazil is hosting in 2014) and poor public services.
Balarin said: "I guess the reason why some of us went out to protest here in London was to show our support for our friends and families that were taking to the streets back home. Brazilians reached a tipping point of discontent – suddenly the vast majority can't tolerate any more corruption.
"It is scary how quickly it all happened. One day, there were five thousand people protesting in Sao Paulo. A week later, more than a million took to the streets around the country and in several other cities around the world, including London.
"I went along and the next thing I know is my mother calling me a couple of days later saying, ‘You're in the paper!’ It felt good that I could be involved in such an important moment in Brazil's history, even from a distance."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Head of UX & Digital Design Director MCG Associates tax free competitive package, Dubai (Emirate) (AE)
- Ad Ops Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Officer x 2 Comic Relief 35,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Manager - Advertising/Media Sales Cabbell Publishing £24,000 basic, with an achievable OTE of £70,000+, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Media Executive Ninesharp £22000 - £25000 per annum, Worcestershire
- KitKat's mocking Apple tweet outperforms Oreo's Superbowl
- Social Media Week: what social media has taught us
- TfL launches selfie campaign to encourage people to get home safely
- Argos releases alien swan song ad
- Branded Content sends messages ads cannot, Diageo boss says
- 13 ways to create a winning print ad