Vodafone launches #hashtag holidays campaign
By Chloe Smith, campaignlive.co.uk, Tuesday, 16 July 2013 01:04PM
Vodafone has launched a digital campaign to promote its all-in-one travel package, by suggesting travellers pick their holiday destination based on where hashtags are trending in major European cities.
The campaign, which will run exclusively in Holland until 9 August, promotes Vodafone’s travel package which lets travellers text, call and use mobile data for €2 (£1.74) a day when abroad.
The campaign suggests that users choose their holiday destinations based on which hashtags, such as #YOLO (you only live once) or #romance, are currently trending.
They can then virtually "book" a holiday for two, using a specially created website, to be in with a chance of winning the holiday of their choice in a weekly competition.
The trip will go to the first people to use the website to check in, once they have been notified the check-in has opened – it opens once a week on Thursdays. Last week’s winners were sent to Istanbul after choosing the hashtag #touristshit.
Blue Mango Interactive developed the media plan for the campaign. Achtung! and They were responsible for concept and design, Random worked on the technical development of the site, and Big Orange was in charge of the sound design.
The campaign will be promoted by a video shown as a YouTube masthead. Banners and social media advertising will also promote '#hashtag holidays'.
The campaign takes advantage of travellers' increased usage of mobile data services and the popularity of sharing on social media while abroad.
The #hashtag holidays site has a built-in-scanning algorithm that analyses the geographic location of hashtags concerning topics such as partying, eating out or shopping.
In the first week, the most popular hashtags were #YOLO and #touristshit.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Campaigns Marketing Manager fusion-lifestyle £35000 - £40000 per annum + 25 days holiday, private medical, London
- Midweight graphic designer Red Sofa London £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Lead Creative Major Players £40000 - £50000 per annum, London
- DEPUTY PRODUCT EDITOR (FASHION, DIGITAL, EDITING) Creative Recruitment £26000 - £28000 per annum + Negotiable, London
- Designer Red Sofa London £35000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Google's European leader says viewing habits are 'changing dramatically'
- Land Rover to move global ad account into Spark44
- Martin Sorrell talks Maurice Lévy, Tesco, and the global outlook
- Viacom to bring Breaking Bad to Freeview with Spike launch
- 'Advertisers are snake oil salesmen', says Peter Oborne
- Group M retains £80m Lloyds media