Vodafone launches #hashtag holidays campaign
By Chloe Smith, campaignlive.co.uk, Tuesday, 16 July 2013 01:04PM
Vodafone has launched a digital campaign to promote its all-in-one travel package, by suggesting travellers pick their holiday destination based on where hashtags are trending in major European cities.
The campaign, which will run exclusively in Holland until 9 August, promotes Vodafone’s travel package which lets travellers text, call and use mobile data for €2 (£1.74) a day when abroad.
The campaign suggests that users choose their holiday destinations based on which hashtags, such as #YOLO (you only live once) or #romance, are currently trending.
They can then virtually "book" a holiday for two, using a specially created website, to be in with a chance of winning the holiday of their choice in a weekly competition.
The trip will go to the first people to use the website to check in, once they have been notified the check-in has opened – it opens once a week on Thursdays. Last week’s winners were sent to Istanbul after choosing the hashtag #touristshit.
Blue Mango Interactive developed the media plan for the campaign. Achtung! and They were responsible for concept and design, Random worked on the technical development of the site, and Big Orange was in charge of the sound design.
The campaign will be promoted by a video shown as a YouTube masthead. Banners and social media advertising will also promote '#hashtag holidays'.
The campaign takes advantage of travellers' increased usage of mobile data services and the popularity of sharing on social media while abroad.
The #hashtag holidays site has a built-in-scanning algorithm that analyses the geographic location of hashtags concerning topics such as partying, eating out or shopping.
In the first week, the most popular hashtags were #YOLO and #touristshit.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Digital Media Consultant Silverdrum £25,000 - £35,000 depending on experience + uncapped commission, London (Greater)
- Account Director - B2B and IT David Thatcher Recruitment £45-55k, West London, M40 Corridor
- Macmillan defends hijacking ice bucket challenge
- Comparethemarket.com first UK brand to run Facebook Premium Video ads
- Game Of Thrones actress stars in online Karen Millen campaign
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- Uncle Ben's launches YouTube cooking show