Freeview launches cat and budgie ad on Channel 4
Freeview, the free-to-air digital TV service, is launching an ad today that features a cat and a budgie singing Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell's 'You're All I Need To Get By'.
The ad, which was created by Leo Burnett London, first airs tonight on Channel 4 during an episode of ‘Peter Kay: Live & Back on Nights!’. It will run on E4, More4 and Film 4 at the same time.
The campaign comes after a teaser for the ad was shown on Channel 4 on 10 February.
The teaser showed a cat stalking his way to a budgie’s cage and opening its door, before it cut out. Viewers were then invited to go on Twitter and guess what would happen.
Freeview is giving away a 50-inch TV, as well as tickets to go see 'Chatty Man' and '8 Out of 10 Cats'.
The full ad shows the same build-up, but instead of trying to eat the bird, the cat starts singing ‘You’re All I Need To Get By’, and the budgie completes the duet.
The pair move to the sofa and continue to serenade each other, as their owner looks on astonished. The voiceover then informs viewers that Freeview offers "95 per cent of the nation’s top TV, no monthly cost".
The spot was written by Leo Burnett London’s Phillip Meyler and Darren Keff, and directed by Ne-O through Stink. MEC handled the media planning and buying.
The ad builds on Freeview’s existing proposition that entertainment is even better when it’s free. A 2013 ad showed tadpoles dancing to The Kinks’ ‘You Really Got Me’ as a young boy watches.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior copywriter story uk limited Negotiable depending on experience, Edinburgh
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Media Planner / Buyer - DRTV & Brand Response TV ADLIB £24k - £28k + Bonus, North Somerset
- Content Manager Mortimer Spinks £22000 - £29000 per annum + + Excellent Benefits , Rugby
- Senior Integrated Project Manager Premier Media £45000 - £65000 per annum + Benefits, London
- Daily Mirror publishes its own tits on Page 3
- 'This girl can' tops Campaign Viral Chart
- John Brown Media appoints Rebekah Billingsley to head of digital and content strategy role
- 'You don't have to explain yourself if you are getting the job done,' says Tracy De Groose on work and motherhood
- Publicis Groupe extends deadline for Sapient deal again
- Lidstone exits Havas amid restructure