'Teenage sluts' likely to cause
By Staff,, brandrepublic.com, Wednesday, 06 February 2002 08:16AM
LONDON - A mailing to members of a Bertelsmann-owned book club carrying details of adult movies with titles such as Wild Teenage Sluts was slammed by the advertising watchdog, which said it was likely to cause widespread offence.
The mailing to members of the Book Club Associates book club carried pictures of hit movies on its front cover, including Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, but inside were details of a range of adult movies.
Complainants argued that the material was offensive and unsuitable to be seen by children and the Advertising Standards Authority agreed.
BCA argued that all the videos advertised in the promotional book had received an 18 certificate and were on sale to the public. It said that both pages giving details of the adult movies were marked as containing videos in the "adult" category.
However, the ASA said that, because the booklet advertised movies such as Shrek and Star Wars on the cover, children were likely to pick it up and it concluded that because BCA had included no warning it was likely to cause widespread offence.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
This article was first published on brandrepublic.com
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Senior UX/IA Mobile Designer - 3 Month Contract - London Network Career Consultants £300 - £350 per day, London
- Junior Account Executive Pitch Consultants £15000 - £18000 per annum, Birmingham
- French Speaking Graphic designer | Corporate communications - Global Healthcare Brand Aquent Competitive day rate, Hertfordshire
- Client Services Director - Full-Service Digital Agency Silverdrum to £55,000 + benefits, London