DIARY: Can Winner truly love Esure as much as The Ivy and Sandy Lane?
campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 17 April 2003 12:00AM
Every now and then an ad will come along that makes everyone sit up and say "wow!". An ad that gets under your skin and changes the way you think about not only advertising, but art and life as well.
You know what we're talking about - the type of ad that, while making you wish you'd come up with the idea yourself, also forces you to accept your own limitations.
Yes, that's right, Michael Winner is back, and this time, instead of recklessly banging into the backs of women's cars, he's prancing around their living rooms, extolling the virtues of Esure's home insurance.
The new ad is every bit as ground-breaking as its predecessor. Readers will be relieved to learn that Winner has decided to stick with that bemused woman who doesn't know she's in an ad and seems strangely obsessed with saying hello to her mum.
And a new radio ad is a slap in the face to all who say that you can't improve on perfection. At one point, Winner actually starts to sing "I love Esure, I love Esure" before telling himself to shut up. Inspired.
Esure's old agency, Delaney Lund Knox Warren & Partners, resigned the account after it was asked to produce Winner's scripts. Winner retorted by saying he only took on the project because he "thought the old ads were dreadful". Take that, Greg Delaney.
Rumour has it Winner will be turning his attention to that Coke brief that McCann-Erickson and Mother are finding so hard to crack.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Account Manager, FMCG, Richmond Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £35000 - £48000 per annum, Benefits: +Fantastic benefits, Richmond upon Thames
- Online Analytics Manager, Telecoms, Slough Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £65000 per annum, Benefits: +Fantastic benefits, Slough
- Digital Strategist - iconic luxury brand - £55K-£65K Bamboo Crowd £55K-£65K, London (Greater)
- Social & Digital Director - iconic luxury brand - £50K-£55K Bamboo Crowd £50K-£55K, London (Greater)
- Web Designer | Junior / Midweight Nu Creative Talent Negotiable, London