Media Insight builds V brand in £1m I'm A Celebrity promotion
By Jeremy Lee, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 25 April 2003 12:00AM
Media Insight has won the media contract for the V energy drink and is relaunching the brand with a sponsorship of ITV1's I'm A Celebrity ... Get Me Out Of Here!
The Frucor Beverages-owned drink has been inactive since 2001, when it spent £4.5 million on its advertising. However, it is returning in an attempt to challenge Red Bull's stranglehold on the UK energy drinks market and the £1 million sponsorship of ITV1's flagship spring entertainment show is the centrepiece of this attack.
Despite winning audiences of more than 11 million and critical acclaim, the first series of I'm a Celebrity ... failed to attract a sponsor. The second series, which starts on 28 April, features celebrities including Daniella Westbrook, Wayne Sleep, Sian Lloyd and Antony Worrall Thompson.
Toby Jenner, the managing director at Media Insight, said: "In such a hugely competitive market where one player has almost a 70 per cent share, we needed an opportunity that allows V to assume 'thought leadership' of the category. Celebrity, we believe, will allow us to do just that, through not only the sponsorship but also online, promotions, public relations and licensing."
V is the market-leading energy drink in Australasia and outsells Red Bull by a ratio of three to one in New Zealand and Australia. Despite Red Bull's dominance of the UK energy drinks market, it has attracted some controversy over the levels of caffeine it contains.
V is positioned as a more mainstream and healthy alternative to Red Bull.
It contains the natural stimulant guarana and vitamin B and has the same caffeine levels as a cup of coffee.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- PR Account Manager Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £30,000 to £40,000, South West London
- Interim Marketing Consultant Stopgap £600 - £650 per day, North West England
- Personalisation Analyst Aspire £30000 - £35000 per annum + bonus and benefits, London
- Social Media Manager Greenwich Leisure Limited Salary up to £42,991 + 8% bonus after qualifying period, London (South), London (Greater)
- Junior Designer Red Sofa London £20000 - £25000 per annum, Thames Ditton
- Google's European leader says viewing habits are 'changing dramatically'
- Martin Sorrell talks Maurice Lévy, Tesco, and the global outlook
- Land Rover to move global ad account into Spark44
- Viacom to bring Breaking Bad to Freeview with Spike launch
- 'Advertisers are snake oil salesmen', says Peter Oborne
- Adam & Eve/DDB grabs £100,000 prize from Posterscope