Virgin's Ivey replaces Kramer as AOL UK sales director
By Claire Billings,, brandrepublic.com, Tuesday, 28 October 2003 11:00AM
LONDON - AOL UK has hired Virgin Radio's former sales controller Giles Ivey to replace Phil Kramer as director of sales for interactive marketing.
Ivey, who joins AOL UK next week, will be responsible for maximising advertising revenues on the AOL ISP service, as well as managing the business development and agency sales teams.
Kramer left AOL in May to return to Dow Jones to take up the role of advertising director of The Wall Street Journal Europe.
With online's share of the advertising market growing, AOL continues to turn to traditional media specialists as it positions itself alongside television, radio and print as a preferred medium for advertisers.
Ivey steps into his new role next week and will report to Andy Jonesco, the former managing director of Express Newspapers who has been vice-president of interactive marketing since May 2002.
"Having worked at a senior level in radio at a time when it experienced significant growth, Giles is in an excellent position to grasp the online sector and to successfully translate the AOL offering to mainstream advertisers. Furthermore, his knowledge of agency sales will be crucial as more and more agencies recognise that the internet must be central to their clients' media strategies," Jonesco said.
Ivey, who worked for Capital Radio before joining Virgin, already has experience working online from a spell at search engine Ask Jeeves.
"Online has returned to its place as the fastest-growing advertising medium in the UK, so this role really captured people's interest," Jonesco said. "The applicants were of extremely high calibre and we are delighted that Giles will be joining us to lead our sales team and drive our advertising revenues."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
This article was first published on brandrepublic.com
- Head of UX & Digital Design Director MCG Associates tax free competitive package, Dubai (Emirate) (AE)
- Associate Director Global brand development - Clientside Elizabeth Norman International Negotiable, South East England
- FOOD INNOVATION & NPD MANAGER Workfish Up to £40,000 plus 10 bonus & benefits , London (Greater)
- Senior Copywriter to £80,000. EC1. Top 5 agency group. Mark Paine Recruitment to £80,000, EC1A 1AH, London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager- Leading Agency Group -Telecommunications account. 40k + . SW1. Mark Paine Recruitment £40,000 plus benefits, London, SW1
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Facebook IQ reveals marketing to millennials is flawed
- Vizeum retains £14m AB InBev in the UK and adds European markets
- Breast Cancer Campaign crowd-sources videos for 'wear it pink' campaign
- Sir Martin Sorrell labels Omnicom CFO exit 'bizarre'
- Guardian joins forces with Telegraph for media planning tool