ITV pulls out all the stops for F1 revamp with Texaco’s pounds 12m
By HARRIET GREEN, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 07 March 1997 12:00AM
ITV kick-starts a renewed bid to shore up male audiences this weekend with the launch of its coverage of Formula One racing, which is being sponsored by Texaco.
ITV kick-starts a renewed bid to shore up male audiences this
weekend with the launch of its coverage of Formula One racing, which is
being sponsored by Texaco.
The ITV programming breaks on Saturday with a Grand Prix day, including
live coverage of the qualifying races, the Clive James Formula One Show
and a screening of the movie, Grand Prix, starring James Garner. The pop
group, Jamiroquai, has recorded the theme music for the coverage.
The coverage is backed by an LWT ad campaign by Mustoe Merriman Herring
Levy, with media buying by Motive. The campaign includes press work,
which broke this week, and radio ads to air on Capital Radio.
Texaco is putting pounds 12 million behind a three-year deal to sponsor
the live racing programming. The sponsorship credits have been created
by IMP, written by Steve Pickard and art directed by David Harris, IMP’s
creative director. They evoke the speed and excitement of the pit,
showing a high-performance pit stop. Harris said: ’There’s a strong
circular theme running through it which echoes the Texaco logo of a star
within a circle.’
The credits were directed by Darryl Goodrich and produced by Nicholas
Unsworth of Oxford Scientific Films.
Texaco and ITV are hoping that the Formula One coverage will draw in a
strong upmarket male audience. Last year, 83 per cent of ABC1 16- to
34-year-old men watched at least one race.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Business Director Aspire £70000 - £80000 per annum + Excellent Benefits, London
- CREATIVE STRATEGIST - COMMUNICATIONS AGENCY Live Recruitment £40000 - £50000 per annum, London
- DIGITAL PRODUCER - DIGITAL MARKETING AGENCY Live Recruitment £50000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits, London
- OOH Field Sales Business Development Manager-£65k Uncapped OTE! Ultimate Asset £25000 - £65000 per annum + Includes uncapped commission, West End