BDDH reveals Mercedes brand advertising
By EMMA HALL, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 07 May 1999 12:00AM
Partners BDDH launches its latest Mercedes branding campaign this week with a series of new executions based again around the famous Janis Joplin song, Lord, won’t you buy me a Mercedes-Benz?
Partners BDDH launches its latest Mercedes branding campaign this
week with a series of new executions based again around the famous Janis
Joplin song, Lord, won’t you buy me a Mercedes-Benz?
Mercedes’ new work follows on from the original Joplin execution, which
first ran in 1997, depicting special moments between owners and their
Research showed that, during the time the commercial was on air, people
were moved to sing the track when they saw a Mercedes. The latest batch
of ads picks up on this by featuring ordinary people singing the song in
a variety of circumstances. Mercedes cars play only a fleeting role in
each of the executions, all of which end with the Mercedes logo and the
words: ’From pounds 14, 490’.
In one ad, a small boy is shown playing with a home-made cardboard
truck, on which he has painted the familiar Mercedes logo, while an
instrumental version of the song plays in the background.
Partners BDDH hopes the campaign will build a brand image which is
’special rather than exclusive’, to reflect Mercedes’ broadening car
range and target market.
The commercials were written by John Dean and Simon Green, the creative
director and head of art at the agency. They were directed by Lenard
Dorfman through @radical.media.
Media strategy was developed by Msc and buying was through Mediapolis.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Junior Digital Designer (Sports) Propel £22000 - £28000 per annum + Excellent Benefits, West London
- Direct Marketing Executive Direct Recruitment £25k-£28k, London (Greater)
- Senior Channels Marketing Manager Direct Recruitment £60k+bonus, bens, London (Greater)
- Digital Project Manager The Fix Creative Up to £45K, Surrey
- Comparethemarket.com first UK brand to run Facebook Premium Video ads
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- Game Of Thrones actress stars in online Karen Millen campaign
- McDonald's launches 40th anniversary campaign
- Models strip in River Island's first TV campaign