BDDH reveals Mercedes brand advertising
By EMMA HALL, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 07 May 1999 12:00AM
Partners BDDH launches its latest Mercedes branding campaign this week with a series of new executions based again around the famous Janis Joplin song, Lord, won’t you buy me a Mercedes-Benz?
Partners BDDH launches its latest Mercedes branding campaign this
week with a series of new executions based again around the famous Janis
Joplin song, Lord, won’t you buy me a Mercedes-Benz?
Mercedes’ new work follows on from the original Joplin execution, which
first ran in 1997, depicting special moments between owners and their
Research showed that, during the time the commercial was on air, people
were moved to sing the track when they saw a Mercedes. The latest batch
of ads picks up on this by featuring ordinary people singing the song in
a variety of circumstances. Mercedes cars play only a fleeting role in
each of the executions, all of which end with the Mercedes logo and the
words: ’From pounds 14, 490’.
In one ad, a small boy is shown playing with a home-made cardboard
truck, on which he has painted the familiar Mercedes logo, while an
instrumental version of the song plays in the background.
Partners BDDH hopes the campaign will build a brand image which is
’special rather than exclusive’, to reflect Mercedes’ broadening car
range and target market.
The commercials were written by John Dean and Simon Green, the creative
director and head of art at the agency. They were directed by Lenard
Dorfman through @radical.media.
Media strategy was developed by Msc and buying was through Mediapolis.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Digital Account Manager Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £29,000 - £37,000 + Benefits , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Research Director Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £50,000- £59,000 + Benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Global Insight Manager, Digital Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London (Greater)
- Global Digital Analyst Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 per annum + Car/Car Allowance, London (Greater)
- Advertising Specialist Ball & Hoolahan £33,000 per annum , West Midlands Region
Agency: McCann Erickson
- Watch: The Post Office's first Christmas TV campaign in five years
- Tesco Clubcard uses Twitter to pick out Christmas gift ideas
- Samsung launches first Christmas TV campaign in the UK
- O2 launches 'walk' campaign with Ed Sheeran
- BBH London promotes Caroline Pay to deputy ECD
- ASA bans 'strongly sexual' Giffgaff ad