Pot Noodle continues innuendo in new TV ad
By John Tylee, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 05 March 2004 12:00AM
Unilever Bestfoods is reinforcing the blokeish appeal of its Pot Noodle brand with new advertising to launch its Mexican fajita flavour.
The product is being introduced on Monday with a national 40-second TV spot produced by HHCL/Red Cell. It continues the smutty innuendo personified by the brand's positioning as "the slag of all snacks".
The new film, described by the HHCL creative director, Jonathan Burley, as a combination of "infidelity, public humiliation, shame, retribution and a catchy tune", is the latest in a series of irreverent and whacky work that targets Pot Noodle firmly at twentysomething men.
Set in a bustling town plaza in Mexico, the commercial features a doting English couple enjoying a romantic meal. They are approached by a mariachi band, which begins to serenade them, praising the blushing girl and her partner.
But what seems to be a gentle love song changes rapidly as the band reveals that the man secretly creeps into town at night in search of "backstreet action" while the girl innocently sleeps on.
Seeing that the man can't deny the allegation, the woman looks at the him in disgust. As the band continues its expose, the girl becomes so angry that she slaps him across the face.
The spot ends with the man in a dark backstreet looking guilty while greedily stuffing himself with Seedy Sanchez. "Eet ees dirty and you want eet," a voiceover says.
The HHCL creative team of Jonathan Thake and Lee Tan produced the film, which was directed by Matthijs Van Heijnengen through Outsider.
Initiative Media is handling media planning and buying for the TV initiative, which will be supported by a national poster campaign.
Written and art directed by Billy Faithful and Ross Neil, the poster sustains the Mexican theme with a Seedy Sanchez pack and a busty senorita seeming to tempt passers-by.
The brand was prohibited from using the "slag" line on TV in 2002 after more than 300 viewers complained to the Independent Television Commission.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Head of UX & Digital Design Director MCG Associates tax free competitive package, Dubai (Emirate) (AE)
- Senior Account Executive X2 Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £20000 - £24000 per annum, Manchester
- Brand Manager LEGO Company LTD Competitive Salary, Slough, Berkshire
- Print & Digital Account Executive - BRAND NEW MEDIA AGENCY!! Ultimate Asset £22000 - £25000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits , City of London
- account director > BRAVE & CATEGORY LEADING client > ATL collectivo Up to £50,000 per annum + benefits, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (South), London (Greater)
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Facebook IQ reveals marketing to millennials is flawed
- Vizeum retains £14m AB InBev in the UK and adds European markets
- Breast Cancer Campaign crowd-sources videos for 'wear it pink' campaign
- Sir Martin Sorrell labels Omnicom CFO exit 'bizarre'
- Guardian joins forces with Telegraph for media planning tool