HSBC delays $600m global marketing review decision
By Staff,, brandrepublic.com, Friday, 07 May 2004 09:00AM
LONDON - HSBC has delayed making a decision on its $600m global advertising review and may hold further meetings with the agencies waiting to find out if they have won the work.
Incumbent agency Lowe is still in the running to retain the account, pitching with fellow Interpublic Group agencies to win the work, which as well as the global advertising account also includes media and direct marketing.
The two other contenders are a WPP Group bid, led by J Walter Thompson, and a pitch from Omnicom Group, headed by BBDO Worldwide. Publicis Groupe was cut from the shortlist in February.
With Publicis out of the race, the media business held by ZenithOptimedia will move even if nothing else does.
The expectation had been that a decision would be made in early May, but reports say that a decision may now not come until June.
HSBC is conducting the review, its first in five years, to improve cost effectiveness and the consistency of brand strategy. The bank has already said that it will retain the slogan "the world's local bank".
The review is being overseen by general manager of marketing Peter Stringham, a former president and chief executive of the Omnicom-owned BBDO Canada.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
This article was first published on brandrepublic.com
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Marketing & Research Manager - $1.8b Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Bonus Potential + Full Corporate Benefits Package, Chichester
- CRM Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40K-£60K + Benefits Package, Central London
- Senior Marketing & New Business Manager Dynamic New Alliances £32000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + Benefits, City of London
- Visual Merchandising Manager (Retail, Fashion, Creative, VM) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum + Negotiable, Hertfordshire