Mercedes tour to show off cars to consumers, media
By John N. Frank, PR Week USA, Monday, 26 July 2004 12:00AM
MONTVALE, NJ: Mercedes-Benz USA is planning a 12-city tour to showcase its cars to consumers and the media.
The LoveMercedes Tour will kick off in Los Angeles on August 13. Consumers will be able to drive various Mercedes models on three test tracks set up at each event.
The test courses each have a theme. One course will be for off-road SUVs. Another is being called "Fun in the Sun" and will feature convertibles and roadsters. A third course is called "Driving Thrills" and will include simulated icy roads, twisty corners, and sand. Mercedes models that feature four-wheel drive will be tested on this track.
"It's putting the cars in a lifestyle environment so people can see how the cars reflect their lives," said Tracy Darchini, corporate PR specialist with Mercedes.
At each event, the company also will erect a lifestyles pavilion showing home-design items, fashions, and cutting-edge technology, Darchini said.
The lifestyle theme also echoes recent Mercedes advertising that shows Mercedes owners with their cars.
An Automotive News story on July 19 said the event was in response to slowing Mercedes sales in the US.
Darchini said Mercedes had been planning the car tour
long before Mercedes saw a 2.6% drop in sales last month as compared to the same month last year.
The company has sent out 800,000 invitations to consumers and also has created a website, lovemercedestour.com, where consumers can register to attend an event.
Media outlets are being invited to attend the tour events, as well.
In addition to Los Angeles, the tour will visit Atlanta, Boston, Central New Jersey, Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas, Long Island, Miami, San Diego, San Francisco, and Washington, DC, during the next two months.
This article was first published on PR Week USA
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Marketing Analyst JV Recruitment £30000 - £40000 per annum, Benefits: Benefits, Halifax
- Midweight Designer Pitch Consultants £25000 - £30000 per annum, West Midlands
- Senior Art Director Pitch Consultants £35000 - £45000 per annum + benefits, Warwickshire
- Senior Account Manager - Digital Pitch Consultants £3000 - £34000 per annum + bonus + benefits, Birmingham