Daring hero gets what he wants in Virgin Holidays ad
By Daniel Farey-Jones,, brandrepublic.com, Friday, 07 January 2005 07:00AM
LONDON – Virgin Holidays has launched a cross-media campaign created by Kitcatt Nohr that sees it return to direct response TV with an ad featuring a consumer hero goading traditional travel agents with a strip routine.
The character features in a 30-second TV ad as well as national press and online executions throughout the month, timed to make Virgin Holidays stand out in a key period for booking holidays and generate consumer response.
The consumer character walks into a provincial travel agency in a coat and carrying a cassette player. After failing to catch the eye of any of the travel agents, he turns on his player and sheds his coat, revealing he is naked except for seven "veils" taped to his body, and his shoes.
Dancing the dance of the seven veils, he plucks them off in turn while ranting about having had enough of rubbish package holidays and how he wants scheduled flights, a wide choice of destinations and value for money.
When he threatens to remove the last veil one of the travel agents rushes over to spare everyone by covering him up with a Virgin Holidays travel brochure, and the strapline "Virgin Holidays. Whatever it takes" appears.
The ad was directed by Blink director Brian Baderman, who has directed ads including Jaffa Cakes' "full moon half moon', Panadol's "Mum!" and Phones4U.
David Ody, Virgin Holidays acquisition marketing manager, said: "We wanted a campaign that would stand out in the January sales frenzy, and that is exactly what Kitcatt Nohr delivered."
Paul Kitcatt, creative director at Kitcatt Nohr, which won the account in May, said: "Only Virgin could make an ad like this. It's unlike any of the usual run-of-the-mill holiday ads, and that's exactly right for the brand."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
This article was first published on brandrepublic.com
- On-Air Creative / Creative Executive Discovery Communications Very Competitive with excellent benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Commercials Producer/Director Searchlight Recruitment An attractive salary is available to the successful candidate. , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Sales Manager - Exhibitions - Indonesia tfconnect global recruitment £30,000, Jakarta
- account manager collectivo Up to £32,000 + benefits, London (Greater)
- Five black Pencils awarded at D&AD 2015
- Diageo and BBH end 15-year relationship
- Networking is never easier than in the queue for the toilet
- Campaign Viral Chart: True Detective trailer in number one spot
- Managing director Paul Hayes to leave News UK after 15 years
- Vizeum on alert as 21st Century Fox review includes £150m European media