JWT’s Oxo family ad tops press coverage during third quarter
By FRANCESCA NEWLAND, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 15 October 1999 12:00AM
News of the Oxo family’s retirement grabbed more national press coverage than any other advertising story between July and September, according to Propeller Marketing’s quarterly ’Ads that make the news’ survey.
News of the Oxo family’s retirement grabbed more national press
coverage than any other advertising story between July and September,
according to Propeller Marketing’s quarterly ’Ads that make the news’
J. Walter Thompson’s ’last supper’ spot - which marked the end of the
Oxo family after 42 commercials in 16 years - ousted sex-themed
advertising from the top of the poll for the first time in many
Two scantily clad women did, however, make equal second place. Kelly
Brook, the ex-Big Breakfast presenter, caused a stir with her ’big has
never been so beautiful’ spot for Triumph, while the ’new sexy and
sophisticated look’ ads for Bhs featuring the Hollywood star, Daryl
Hannah, received equal coverage in the national press.
Troubled Marks & Spencer’s ’back to basics’ campaign filled column
inches as editors tried to predict whether or not the work would be
enough to turn the chain’s fortunes around.
Two more outrageous women shared the number five spot. Cheltenham
Council’s campaign to encourage the young to vote caused controversy
when it picked a girl with multiple body piercings and extravagant hair
and make up as its spokesperson.
And Fi-Fi, the cyberpixie who promotes Sony PlayStation, also attracted
a lot of press comment.
Bravo’s Howard Stern posters that mirrored the US shock-jock’s
outrageous tone were also joint fifth, while BA’s spot with PJ O’Rourke
mocking the British attitude to success was eighth.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- On-Air Creative / Creative Executive Discovery Communications Very Competitive with excellent benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Commercials Producer/Director Searchlight Recruitment An attractive salary is available to the successful candidate. , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Senior Account Excutive / Junior Account Manager Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment 20,000 to 26,000, Warwickshire
- Integrated Project Manager Purple Consultancy £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Five black Pencils awarded at D&AD 2015
- Diageo and BBH end 15-year relationship
- Campaign Viral Chart: True Detective trailer in number one spot
- Managing director Paul Hayes to leave News UK after 15 years
- Vizeum on alert as 21st Century Fox review includes £150m European media
- Pimm's launches weather activated OOH campaign