Jamie Oliver to go global as School Dinners show sold around the world
By by Joe Lepper, brandrepublic.com, Monday, 04 April 2005 11:00AM
LONDON - The fascination with school dinners is not confined to the UK as the hit Channel 4 show 'Jamie's School Dinners' is sold to 13 countries around the world, with US broadcasters set to bid at Cannes next week.
Freemantle International Distribution, the distributors behind the hit that has resulted in a government policy shift, said it had sold the show to Singapore, Thailand, Hong Kong, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, the Netherlands and Slovenia.
MTV3 in Finland has also signed deals for the show, which is produced by Fresh One Productions and has just finished its run on Channel Four.
FID said it was hopeful of success among US broadcasters, who are set to bid for the programme at the Cannes television tradeshow MIPTV.
In the US, Oliver has previously seen his show about the start-up of his Fifteen restaurant, 'Jamie's Kitchen', sold there as well as 'Oliver's Twist', which ran on the Food Network.
David Ellender, FID managing director, said: "We are not at all surprised by the success that 'Jamie's School Dinners' is enjoying. Jamie is practically a national hero here in the UK and the themes that this series deal with are universally important and engaging."
This is the latest export success for Oliver and FID. 'Oliver's Twist' and 'Jamie's Kitchen' sold to 43 and 34 countries respectively.
In the UK, 'Jamie's School Dinners' proved to be both a ratings and political success. So far in 2005, it is Channel Four's highest rated new series with a peak of 5m viewers, and last week the government announced a £280m boost for school dinners.
During the programme, it emerged that children at a Greenwich secondary school were being fed on just 37p a meal.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
This article was first published on brandrepublic.com
- Head of UX & Digital Design Director MCG Associates tax free competitive package, Dubai (Emirate) (AE)
- Ad Ops Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Freelance Product/ Industrial Designer Purple Consultancy £250 - £350 per day, London
- Account Manager / Senior Account Manager Royds Raphael £37k-£45k+ dep. on experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- SENIOR ACCOUNT MANAGER - STRATEGIC CREATIVE B2B AGENCY Live Recruitment £32000 - £40000 per annum, Richmond upon Thames