Premiership footballers to be targeted with upmarket magazine
By by Ben Bold, brandrepublic.com, Wednesday, 05 October 2005 11:00AM
LONDON - Roman Media has launched a quarterly coffee-top magazine for Premiership players, which gives footballers the chance to read articles they are unlikely to find written anywhere else.
The 36-page introductory issue of Premier Player is being sent out to the 17 Premiership clubs that have so far agreed to receive the complimentary magazine.
The title, which has a print run of 1,000, features content that is designed to provide footballers with a welcome distraction from their training regimes. The first issue contains an article that examines the myth and mystery behind Cuban premier Fidel Castro and asks: "What's behind the beard?"
Premier Player is being targeted at advertisers that reflect the readership's spending power. For example, the first issue includes an ad for Lamborghini.
"It is a total myth that footballers don't read extensively," Paul Constantinou, Roman Media's managing director, said.
"We know from our market research they are avid magazine consumers and consistently make informed buying decisions. Premier Player does not try to imitate the conventional newsstand publications they already purchase. We have assembled an eclectic team to produce a truly unusual product for readers and advertisers."
The clubs so far signed up to receive the magazine are Arsenal, Aston Villa, Birmingham, Blackburn Rovers, Bolton Wanderers, Charlton, Chelsea, Everton, Fulham, Liverpool, Manchester City, Portsmouth, Sunderland, Tottenham Hotspur, West Bromwich Albion, West Ham and Wigan Athletic.
Future issues of the magazine will include editorial on subjects as bizarre and diverse as "rock and roll excess as a democratic struggle", "Sun Tzu and the art of sportsmanship" and "extreme angling".
Roman Media's other publications include a golfing supplement for The Times.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
This article was first published on brandrepublic.com
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)