Grey creates dark Valentine's campaign to fight domestic violence
By By Shirley Kumar, brandrepublic.com, Tuesday, 14 February 2006 02:30PM
LONDON - Sarah Brown, the wife of Chancellor Gordon Brown, has launched an advertising campaign against domestic violence to mark Valentine's Day.
Brown, patron of domestic violence charity Women's Aid, will highlight the plight of more than half-a-million women who will spend today living in fear of a violent partner.
Women's Aid launched the campaign today because abusive relationships often begin as a flattering display of romantic love.
But along with the chocolates and flowers can come the first dangers of unreasonable jealously and possessiveness, which can soon turn into violent and controlling behaviour.
Brown launched the campaign by posing in front of print and outdoor ads showing Valentine themes with a shocking twist, created by advertising agency Grey London.
One shows a single red rose with a message reading: "Suzy, I told you to shut up you stupid cow. It's your fault I hurt you. Pete."
Another says: "Joanna, I love picking you up in my arms then smashing you against the wall. Dave."
Print ads will appear in national newspapers, while radio ads will appear on Virgin Radio, as well as being podcast on the Daily Telegraph website.
In the first burst of radio ads, a male voiceover describes a sinister message he will be sending to his loved one.
All the ads urge women to end domestic violence by logging on to the Women's Aid website.
Brown said: "Domestic violence remains a taboo issue for many and through this campaign we hope to get everyone, not just those who are in violent relationships, to think and talk about the everyday reality of domestic violence for hundreds and thousands of women every year."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
This article was first published on brandrepublic.com
- Senior Planner, Direct Marketing /CRM Agency, London Direct Recruitment £70,000-100,000, London (Greater)
- Consultant Ball & Hoolahan £44,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- eCom / Retail Marketing Manager (B2C) - Online Homewares Retailer Recruitment Revolution £45,000 + £5k bonus , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Events Account Manager / Senior Account Manager Adam Recruitment Ã‚£25000 - Ã‚£35000 per annum, Manchester
- Senior Account Manager/ Junior Account Director - Brand Coms ADLIB £33k - £38k , Bristol