PowerGen TV ad first
By GINA GIBSON, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Thursday, 29 January 1998 12:00AM
PowerGen is to advertise on TV for the first time as it launches a major branding campaign this week, reminding consumers that it dominates the electricity market, in the run-up to final deregulation this year.
PowerGen is to advertise on TV for the first time as it launches a
major branding campaign this week, reminding consumers that it dominates
the electricity market, in the run-up to final deregulation this
The pounds 7m campaign, created by Saatchi & Saatchi, attempts to make
consumers think about electricity as a product rather than as an
It carries the slogan ’If only our product wasn’t invisible’, showing a
production line churning out mythical boxes of electricity which end up
at a supermarket checkout.
Press ads will run with the line ’The power behind the power’.
Fraser Hardie, the company’s recently appointed international
communications and media adviser, said that 77% of British consumers
know of PowerGen but do not know what it does. Therefore, the primary
aim of the campaign will be to raise awareness of the company’s
The two-year advertising drive is part of a wider marketing campaign,
involving a new call centre, PR work, sponsorships and the setting up of
new IT systems to cope with the changes. PowerGen is also developing
marketing partnerships with regional electricity generators.
PowerGen’s sponsorship of ITV weather bulletins will continue and other
sponsorships are to follow.
The government announced last week that the final phase of deregulation
has been postponed from April to September. This leaves PowerGen, the
only national brand, with the monopoly.
However, by the end of the year it will be competing against The Energy
Group, National Power, British Gas and Scottish Power.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- On-Air Creative / Creative Executive Discovery Communications Very Competitive with excellent benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Commercials Producer/Director Searchlight Recruitment An attractive salary is available to the successful candidate. , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- DIGITAL DESIGNER - INTEGRATED AGENCY Live Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, City of London
- Senior Account Manager - Integrated Spectrum 360 Recruitment £33k - £42k, London (Greater)
- Five black Pencils awarded at D&AD 2015
- Managing director Paul Hayes to leave News UK after 15 years
- Pimm's launches weather activated OOH campaign
- Campaign Viral Chart: True Detective trailer in number one spot
- Vizeum on alert as 21st Century Fox review includes £150m European media
- Tango returns to advertising after two years with off-brand TV ad