August ABCs show strong performance from nationals
By Ann-Marie Corvin, mediaweek.co.uk, Friday, 07 September 2007 02:25PM
LONDON - The redtops enjoyed an unseasonable rise in sales this August over the previous month, according to the latest ABC figures out today.
The Daily Mirror boasted a 1.4% August rise, and The Sun remained above the 3m mark with a near 1% rise to 3,158,045.
A host of CD giveaways and the start of the football season also heralded a boost in sales for some of the Sundays including The Daily Star Sunday (up 24%) and the News of the World (up 1.7%).
In the mid market, the Daily Mail fell 2.5% and its stablemate The Mail on Sunday was down 0.6% despite promotions including a CD giveaway of Bananarama and a Murphy’s War DVD advertised on TV. However, in July, the MoS gave away a Prince CD.
The Mail’s rival, the Daily Express, gained sales in August with a 4.2% rise. With an August sales figure of 2,339,278, however, the Daily Mail is still comfortably ahead of the Daily Express at 827,491.
Thanks to last month’s comedy, TV and film festivals and the Edinburgh Fringe, there was plenty to keep the Scottish papers occupied, as is reflected in the ABCs. Scotland on Sunday saw a rise of 19%; The Sunday Herald 8.1% and The Daily Record 2.8%.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- Automotive Account Director - Advertising Spectrum 360 Recruitment £50k - £55k, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Digital Marketing Exec | Travel | £30k Salt £25000 - £35000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Category Development Manager - Leading FMCG Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40K-£46K + Generous Car Allowance + Benefits Package, London (Greater)
- Senior Shopper Insights Manager - Leading FMCG Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £55K-£62K + Generous Car Allowance + Bonus, London (Greater)