Beaven takes global helm at Initiative as Gerster retires
By Daniel Farey-Jones, brandrepublic.com, Thursday, 31 January 2008 04:15PM
LONDON - Alec Gerster, Initiative's worldwide chief executive and chairman, is to retire on March 1 and will be succeeded by Richard Beaven, chief executive and chairman of Initiative North America.
Gerster has been in the role since April 2002 when he joined Initiative after a 30-year career at Grey Global Group, most recently as worldwide chief executive of MediaCom.
Beaven joined Initiative in 2006 from MediaVest USA, where he was executive vice-president and managing director.
Earlier in his career, he played a leading role alongside David Connolly in forming Starcom UK out of Leo Burnett's in-house media department and merging it with Motive.
Gerster's record and succession planning were applauded by Michael Roth, chief executive and chairman of its parent company Interpublic.
Roth said: "Alec successfully steered Initiative through a period of unprecedented change in the media industry.
"He also succeeded in a task that challenges many chief executives -- finding an outstanding successor who is qualified as a practitioner and a leader to take a company forward."
Under Beaven, Initiative North America recently won a number of major media accounts including the $800m Hyundai/Kai business and the $150m Cadbury Schweppes business, following Bayer and Coors in 2007.
This article was first published on brandrepublic.com
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Brand & Marketing Capability Consultants Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £Attractive Salary & Benefits Package + Significant Bonus, Surrey
- Consumer & Market Insight Manager - OTC Healthcare Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £45K-£60K + Car Allowance + Bonus, Berks/West of London
- UK Head of Marketing FMCG Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment c.£100-130K + Benefits Package, London
- Artworker fishtank £23000 - £33000 per annum, Bristol
Agency: Wieden & Kennedy New York
- Macmillan defends hijacking ice bucket challenge
- Comparethemarket.com first UK brand to run Facebook Premium Video ads
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- Game Of Thrones actress stars in online Karen Millen campaign
- Uncle Ben's launches YouTube cooking show