Harvey Nichols signs Wallace and Gromit for Bristol campaign
By Nikki Sandison, brandrepublic.com, Tuesday, 26 August 2008 12:30PM
LONDON - Harvey Nichols has signed a deal with Aardman to style its 'Wallace & Gromit' characters in designer labels to spearhead a print ad campaign for the opening of its new store in Bristol.
In a series of ads, shot by Giles Revell for DDB London, the plasticine characters Wallace, Gromit and Lady Tottingham have been given a make-over by the upmarket department store chain.
Harvey Nichols has revamped Wallace's wardrobe, replacing his familiar green tank top with a Dolce & Gabbana fitted shirt and an Alexander McQueen cashmere jacket, while Gromit has gained a pair of purple Ray Ban sunglasses and a stylish matching scarf.
The images appear next to text stating: "Harvey Nichols. Now open in Bristol."
Sean Clarke, head of marketing and licensing at Aardman, said: "I've never seen Wallace and Gromit looking so chic and stylish. I think it only fitting that W&G, a great British institution, celebrate another institution in retailing Harvey Nichols coming to Bristol."
Julia Bowe, marketing director at Harvey Nichols, said: "We were delighted that these two characters so close to the heart of Bristol agreed to appear in our ad campaign for the launch of our sixth store in the UK, and our flagship store in the South West."
This is not the first time that Aardman has lent its talents to an ad campaign. In May, the animators teamed up with comedian Paul Whitehouse for a TV ad for weed killer brand Resolva 24H.
The ad featured cheeky animated weeds popping up between paving stones, much to the frustration of a keen gardener.
Aardman Animations' first feature-length Wallace & Gromit film, 'The Curse of the Were Rabbit', won the 2005 Oscar for Best Animated Feature.
This article was first published on brandrepublic.com
- Acquisition Marketing Manager Stopgap £40000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Mobile - top agency - to £70k Ultimate Asset £60000 - £70000 per annum + + agency bens, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Designer Purple Consultancy £30000 - £35000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Marketing & Business Development Manager, £38k Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £35000 - £38000 per annum, Benefits: Excellent Benefits, London (Greater)
- Marketing Manager Stopgap £40000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)