Ogilvy axes 10% of North America staff
By Daniel Farey-Jones, brandrepublic.com, Wednesday, 07 January 2009 09:00AM
LONDON - WPP Group's Ogilvy Group in North America has cut around 150 staff, or almost 10% of its workforce, according to US reports.
The staff reductions have affected group businesses from Ogilvy & Mather to OgilvyOne, Ogilvy Interactive and OgilvyAction.
The Ogilvy cuts are apparently the first wave of redundancies after WPP chief executive Sir Martin Sorrell signalled last year WPP would be reducing staff, especially in Europe and North America.
According to a report at the weekend, Sorrell expects divisional heads to reduce employee numbers where staff costs exceed 60% of revenues.
Ogilvy North America has been hit by client spending reductions greater than the company's new business growth, as well as losing out on current clients' spend to other roster agencies, according to US trade journal Adweek.
Miles Young took over as global chief executive of Ogilvy Group on January 1, having been appointed in the summer as the successor to Shelly Lazarus, who remains as chairman.
This article was first published on brandrepublic.com
- On-Air Creative / Creative Executive Discovery Communications Very Competitive with excellent benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Executive Creative Director MCG Associates Tax Free Competitive Package, Dubai (Emirate) (AE)
- Senior Art Director MCG Associates Attractive Tax Free Salary , Europe / United Arab Emirates / United Kingdom / London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Gre...
- Creative Team MCG Associates Attractive Tax Free Salary , United Arab Emirates