Supermarkets renew focus on vouchers
By Miranda Fitzgerald, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Tuesday, 27 January 2009 09:30AM
LONDON - Vouchers and money-off coupons are set to be the next big battleground for the UK's major supermarkets, according to industry experts.
All the big multiples increased their year-on-year adspend in the run-up to last Christmas, except Morrisons, which cut its spend by more than 29%.
However, the latter posted the greatest increase in market share, due, in part, to money-off voucher promotions. Retail analysts believe that one promotion offering customers a £20-off voucher when they spent more than £40 in three consecutive weeks was instrumental in generating its record Christmas sales.
According to insiders, Waitrose is also due to put coupons at the heart of its 2009 marketing strategy following a successful discount voucher promotion before Christmas. It is already offering money-off vouchers to customers who have recently reduced their regular spend at Waitrose.
'Coupons are used more during a recession. Retailers and brands see them as a cheap tactical solution to change consumer behaviour but not cause long-term brand damage,' said an Institute of Sales Promotion spokesman.
Voucher websites are the fastest-growing area of internet retail. Hitwise's UK research director, Robin Goad, said that one in every 200 visits to an online retail site now comes from a voucher site. 'Tesco voucher codes' was the top online search for voucher codes last month.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- On-Air Creative / Creative Executive Discovery Communications Very Competitive with excellent benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Group Head - Global Internet Giant Ultimate Asset £55000 - £70000 per annum + bonus and incredible benefits , London
- Media Planner/Buyer required to work on Fashion/Retail Brands Ultimate Asset £24000 - £28000 per annum + great benefits package, London
- Grad/Media Executive required to work on Fashion/Retail Brands Ultimate Asset £21000 - £24000 per annum + great benefits package, London