Crispin Porter & Bogusky to lay off 60 staff
By Staff, brandrepublic.com, Friday, 06 February 2009 09:35AM
NEW YORK - Ad agency Crispin Porter & Bogusky, a highly successful player in the US advertising industry, has announced that it is cutting 60 jobs from its 900-plus workforce in response to the ailing economy.
The agency, which is behind Microsoft's global 'I'm a PC' campaign and has blue chip brands on its books including Burger King, Domino's Pizza, Coca-Cola and VW, is slashing just over 6% of its workforce across its Boulder and Miami offices.
The US ad industry has been laying off staff in their thousands in recent months. The news that an agency as strong as Crispin Porter & Bogusky has had to resort to layoffs has driven home just how beleaguered the economy is.
The agency said in a statement: "In response to the current economic climate, advertising budgets are being reduced in virtually every industry.
"On a comparative basis, [our] business is doing well but we are not immune to the constriction of the economy.
"Our two main responsibilities are to our clients and to our employees. And in order to most prudently manage our business, we have taken the difficult step of reducing our staff by 60 of our 900-plus employees. We do not anticipate any further staff reductions.
"These are extraordinary times and we hope that we will not have to do this again."
Crispin Porter & Bogusky's performance has been impressive. In 2008 it was named Advertising Age's Agency of the Year and grew revenues by 15% to about $140m.
Examples of other agencies to have recently shed staff in the US include Leo Burnett, which axed around 75 jobs last week, while WPP's Ogilvy Group has begun reducing its workforce by 10%.
This article was first published on brandrepublic.com
- Assistant Marketing Manager (Journals) - Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Company Benefits Package , Oxford, Oxfordshire
- Account Executive - Digital Sales & Marketing Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £20000 - £25000 per annum, Benefits: Great benefits plus unlimited holiday, London
- Senior Account Director Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £40,000 to £50,000, Balsall Common
- Senior Designer, Entertainment Sky Negotiable, London
- Creative Designer, 3D - Brand, Service and Product Innovation Bamboo Crowd £30,000 - £40,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- The man who made Grey matter
- Yorkshire Tea launches £5 million campaign
- Eric Cantona to swim Channel if Brits agree Kronenbourg 1664 is best beer
- Beacons installed on 500 London buses by Exterion Media
- MediaCom's Lisa Humphreys flies flag for media in '35 women under 35' list
- Asda brings back 'pocket tap' and adopts Walmart strap line in TV ad