The Co-op calls review of its £54m media business
LONDON - The Co-operative Group, which includes supermarket chain Somerfield, has called a £54m review of its media planning and buying requirements.
The move follows the Manchester-based Co-op's completion of the £1.6bn acquisition of Somerfield last month, creating the UK's fifth largest food retailer.
Somerfield's media business is currently handled by full service agency WWAV Rapp Collins, while the bulk of the Co-op's food and banking business is held by PHD Rocket.
Other incumbent agencies within the group include MediaCom North and Brilliant Media.
The review is being led by the Co-op Group's director of marketing Patrick Allen.
Businesses included in the review include Co-op Travelcare, Co-op Travel, Co-op Insurance Society, Co-op Bank, Co-op Funeralcare, Priority Motor Group, Unity Trust Bank, Co-op Group and Co-op Financial Services, which counts internet bank Smile among its brands.
A Co-op spokesman confirmed the Somerfield acquisition had initiated a review of all the group's suppliers, including its media planning and buying requirements.
He added: "We are not necessarily looking to consolidate all or any of the accounts."
Somerfield spent £12m on media in 2008 while the Co-operative Group spent a total of £42.4m, according to The Nielsen Company.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Senior Account Director > ATL > TOP LONDON AGENCY collectivo £55,000 - £65,000, London
- planner > HUGE opportunity > BRAVE client collectivo Up to £60,000 + benefits, London (Greater)
- Foodie Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £45,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Project Manager (senior) Corporate Communications Recruitment circa £55k, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (West), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Consultant Corporate Communications Recruitment £70-£80k base plus bonus and package, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (West), London (Greater)
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Doctor Who online game gets kids coding
- Philips launches juicer video campaign with Louis Smith
- Currys PC World launches brand campaign ahead of Christmas
- Argos releases second ad in its latest strategy
- A JWT tribute to its Oxo mum: Lynda Bellingham