Greggs rolls out ads focusing on quality
By Joe Thomas, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Tuesday, 07 April 2009 10:30AM
LONDON - Greggs, the high-street bakery chain, is launching a TV campaign focusing on quality and value for money.
As with the brand's most recent campaigns, the ads star comedian Paddy McGuinness, but also introduce a small terrier, called Scamp. They use the Terry Bush song Maybe Tomorrow (Littlest Hobo).
The ads focus on new products including Sicilian Lemon and Belgian Triple Chocolate Muffins, sandwiches made with better-quality bread and pasties.
The TV work, created by Propaganda, will be supported by outdoor, press and radio. Media buying was handled by MediaVest Manchester.
The campaign, which breaks on Easter Monday, will start with a 60-second spot during Hell's Kitchen on ITV. Greggs will also run product-specific 10-second spots.
The push follows a successful trading period for the baker, which posted a 1% rise in like-for-like sales for the 10 weeks to 7 March. Total sales for last year were up by 7.1%.
Despite this, annual profits were down 3.3% year on year; the fall was attributed to the rising costs of energy and ingredients. Greggs' pre-tax profits were just under £50m.
In February, the company announced plans to trial an upmarket store format to explore ways to drive higher customer spend. The trial store, which is due to launch in London this month, will have a bigger customer area and more modern ambience than Greggs' existing outlets.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Head of Digital Design. #BANNERCAMPAIGNS #EMAILDESIGNS Creative Recruitment £50000 - £55000 per annum, London
- Digital Project Manager. #WEBBUILDS #MOBILEAPPS #TABLETAPPS Creative Recruitment £35000 - £45000 per annum, Berkshire
- JUNIOR DIGITAL DESIGNER #ESHOTS #WEBDESIGN #SOCIALMEDIA Creative Recruitment £25000 per annum, London
- Junior Artworker #RETAIL #FASHION #CONSUMERGOODS #PACKAGING Creative Recruitment £23000 per annum, London