BBC Radio 3 pioneers 'audio spotlights' in TV campaign
By Ben Bold, brandrepublic.com, Thursday, 16 April 2009 08:45AM
LONDON -The BBC is launching a television ad campaign promoting Radio 3 that features members of the public being targeted by beams of audio when they step into branded "sound spots" positioned at various locations in the UK.
The campaign, created by Red Bee Media, has been designed to get people aged 35-plus listening to a wider range of classical music and comes as Radio 3 celebrates the anniversaries of composers Purcell, Handel, Mendelssohn and Haydn.
Red Bee Media has produced four TV trails for the radio station.
Each shows how different people react when they step into the BBC-branded sound spots, including women shopping, families in the park and a businessman on his way home from the office.
The circles on the ground were printed with the words: "Please step in".
When member of the public stepped into the designated spots, they were suddenly able to hear classical music as if wearing headphones.
The sound spots used a technology that was originally developed by the Navy in the 1960s as a means of defence.
It enables sound to be specifically targeted at a specific spot -- the projected sound can only be heard when someone stands at an exact point.
Anton Ezer, Red Bee Media's creative director, said: "The music chosen for the sound spots is completely engrossing and highlights some of the most beautiful works by Handel, Haydn, Purcell and Mendelssohn featured on Radio 3 as the station celebrates the anniversaries of these composers.
"By framing the compositions in a contemporary lens through the use of the revolutionary audio spotlights, the trails aim to lead those who enjoy classical music to the wealth of wonderful music and performance broadcast on Radio 3."
The BBC Radio 3 campaign will appear this month on BBC One, BBC Two and BBC Four.
This article was first published on brandrepublic.com
- Senior Account Executive or Account Executive createselect Up to £26K pa, depending on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Account Director - eCommerce and Digital Marketplace Silverdrum £60,000 + bonus, London (Central), London (Greater)
- SENIOR ACCOUNT EXEC/ACCOUNT MANAGER - INTEGRATED agency, Farringdon - £23k-£30k Judi Patton £23k-£30k, Farringdon
- Marketing agency roles in the Home Counties Stonor Variable £20,000 - £100,000, Home Counties
- SALES AND MARKETING DIRECOR - MARKETING AGENCY Live Recruitment Negotiable, West Midlands